Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

questions, F22 Raptor EDF RTF

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

questions, F22 Raptor EDF RTF

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM
ejd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions, F22 Raptor EDF RTF

Hello,

I'm an engineer, but new to RC airplanes. I recently purchased the 4-Channel NitroModels F22 Raptor Radio Remote Controlled EDF Foam Jet RTF. I have assembled the plane and I am experimenting with the transmitter and controls. I've also been reading a lot on this forum and others. The instruction manual is quite poor, I'm afraid to say. I realize there's a language barrier, and that doesn't bother me, but the manual is quite slim on content. So, I have some questions that I hope Nitroplanes Technical Support, or other friendly flyer, can answer.

1. The ailerons (flaps?) on the main foam wings are hinged but did not come freely moving out of the box. It's as if during packaging the factory employee did not take an Exacto knife and cut along the flap seam. I assume I should make the cuts myself, since the servo/pushrod on each side is meant to manipulate the aileron and tail elevator in unison. On the other hand, maybe the seams were not cut on purpose. Is there any reason one would want to use only the tail elevators and not the main wing ailerons?

2. The manual mentions A- and B-style wings. Which do I have? How do they differ?

3. The series of beeps emitted (by the ESC?) is not well described in the manual, and the text is confusing/ambiguous. Can you point me toward a source that clearly describes the meaning of the tones and the "throttle calibration" procedure?

4. Should I be using the mix mode on the transmitter, for main-wing ailerons and tail elevators, or should I use the un-mixed mode? I get the sense mixing makes it easier for a beginner, but maybe my thinking is wrong here.

I appreciate any help,

Eric
Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM
opjose

Default RE: questions, F22 Raptor EDF RTF

ORIGINAL: ejd

Hello,

1. The ailerons (flaps?) on the main foam wings are hinged but did not come freely moving out of the box. It's as if during packaging the factory employee did not take an Exacto knife and cut along the flap seam. I assume I should make the cuts myself, since the servo/pushrod on each side is meant to manipulate the aileron and tail elevator in unison. On the other hand, maybe the seams were not cut on purpose. Is there any reason one would want to use only the tail elevators and not the main wing ailerons?
Some of the foamies come with "pressed" seams. These are low cost ways to avoid the extra labor.

Basically you bend the wings along the hinge point, and let things come what may...

However if your plane ends up lasting you a long time, you'll have wished you did NOT do this.

It is better to cut the seams and use something like hinge tape. This will make the area stronger.

2. The manual mentions A- and B-style wings. Which do I have? How do they differ?

Dunno. Don't you love the manual?

Maybe these were originally designed for "with" and "without" ailerons.

3. The series of beeps emitted (by the ESC?) is not well described in the manual, and the text is confusing/ambiguous. Can you point me toward a source that clearly describes the meaning of the tones and the "throttle calibration" procedure?
This is typical, and unfortunately ALL ARF manufacturers seem to do this... I receive an E-Flite plane where the same was true... beeps but no instructions.

Check the labeling on the ESC, if you are luckly you may be able to find a manual for a similiar or identical ESC on line...

Often the programming for the ESC is quite similiar. I've also been able to interchange ESC programming cards and use them on unknown ESC's with great success.

Post what the label says and I'll see if I can help.

4. Should I be using the mix mode on the transmitter, for main-wing ailerons and tail elevators, or should I use the un-mixed mode? I get the sense mixing makes it easier for a beginner, but maybe my thinking is wrong here.
I'll bet that the "mix mode" is for stabilator use... e.g. where there are NO ailerons, and each elevator works in a "V" ( actually Delta ) tail mixing arrangement to control the plane.

If you go with Ailerons, you will NOT want to mix elevator.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM
ejd

Default RE: questions, F22 Raptor EDF RTF

opjose, thanks for your comments and ideas.

The ESC is a 6 channel, 72 MHz device (my plane uses only 4 of those channels). There's a sticker on the side with "WFLY" and a grid of numbers with 2 numbers marked with a pen (like quality control). The device is about 1 in by 3/4 in in size, and there's a slot for the crystal. Any ideas on this?

Thanks again,

Eric