Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

please help me build my first nitro plane!

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

please help me build my first nitro plane!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM
rcfansclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me build my first nitro plane!

I'm about to buy a nitro plane (or plane parts) from nitroplanes. Right now, I'm looking at these two and trying to compare them:

1. http://www.nitroplanes.com/whfa12063nig.html

2. http://www.nitroplanes.com/bo90arfrarec.html

From the products description, I think they are both ARF (Almost ready to fly).

For the first one, it says:
Engine Required : 1.20 2c or 1.60 4c ;
Radio Required: 6 channels ; Servos: 11
The second one says:
Radio Required: 4channels ; 8 servos
For Gas, Engine Required: 2c 0.25 - 0.32 cu in
For either of them, what I need to buy extra is: engine, radio and servos. Is this correct?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Shouter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: please help me build my first nitro plane!

If this is your first airplane, as in you have never flown before, you might want to look at different airframes. With that out of the way, you will need the Radio, flight battery, servos, engine, support equipment for flying. You also might want to look into replacing all the included hardware with Dubro brand hardware. Replacing the hardware is a cheap insurance.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
rcfansclub

thanks, but I wonder why I would need to replace all the included hardware? Or should I buy the frame only and buy the Dubro-branded hardwares somewhere else?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Shouter

most hardware included with todays ARF's are made of brittle plastic. I speak from experience with using the included hardware. I lost an airplane on the second flight because the hinges included failed.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did not answer The first question. Is this your first plane?If so skip both they are not beginners aircraft. Do some research on trainers and get some help.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
outdoorhunting

I agree with Tedmo. If this is your first plane you DEFINITLY DON'T want one of those. They are cool looking,BUT, you WILL crash them on your first try !!! Go to a trainer type & get an instructor to help you.If you don't, you will be out of the hobby before you get started. If you must have one of those planes, go ahead & get it & hang it up to give you a goal to work for. We all have seen too many beginers try to "jump the gun" & start on a plane that's NOT for beginers. RC flying is the most fun- challenging-rewarding hobby I've ever been in & I know we all like to see newbies coming into the hobby. We have all seen many,many guys start with the wrong plane & give up. I don't want to scare you but, it's not as easy as it looks !!! Good luck
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
rcfansclub

thanks to all of you for the nice suggestions! Could you please help me find a trainer RC nitro plane from nitroplanes.com or other merchants? I appreciate your help

how's this one: http://www.nitroplanes.com/nilosuaetr40.html
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
SpeedBoy

Much better than the other ones

I think that will be a good trainer.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 AM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

Rcfans,

As it sounds like you are brand new to this hobby you will do MUCH better with a HIGH wing trainer. The last plane that you linked to is very specific in its intended usage. It says things like "aerobatic low wing trainer" and "the perfect SECOND plane after you have mastered that HIGH wing trainer". Please do yourself a big favor and get a proper trainer plane and join an RC flying club and hook up with an instructor. I have been an instructor at various clubs for 20 years and I can gaurantee to you that you will become hooked for life with this great hobby if you start off with the proper equipment and flight training =)

BTW, one of the absolute best trainer planes that I have come across is the Hobbico Nexstar. We have several of them now as our club trainers and they fly great!! Just my 2 cents to give you an example of a good trainer. There are many other good trainers on the market and I'm sure this will start an avalanche of suggestions.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM
outdoorhunting

That would be a lot better choice. If you go back to the "trainer page" at Nitro, check out the "high wings" they would be the best choice. I know they're not as cool looking but they will last you longer & are a little easier to repair. The way it's explained to me was, the fusalage being below the wing will make the craft always come back to right side up & tends to keep it there. A thought just came to me. If you are set on a "low wing" I don't know what kind of radio " TX" you have or will get. If it's a computer TX that you can set the expo on, you might consider & I know a lot of the guys will say I'm crazy. Hanger 9 Twist 40, with the TX set correctly for a beginer would make an excellent trainer. It will fly sooo slow & is quite a mild flyer when the expo is set. It's very easy to see, easy to land & very cheap to buy. As you improve your abilities, all you will have to do is set your expo a little more agressive. The Twist is one cool looking plane !!! Check it out @ www.horizonhobby.com go to sport size 40 & scroll down to the Twist. Good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 AM
rcfansclub

if I buy the low-wing trainer plane (http://www.nitroplanes.com/nilosuaetr40.html), I wonder how to choose servos. Are the standard servos OK? How's the 5G TowerPro RC Servo ($7.95) on this page http://www.nitroplanes.com/servo.html?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Shouter

Were all tellin you here dude, high wing is the ideal choice for you. Its forgiving characteristics are perfect for a beginner like you.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
opjose

That servo you are looking at is a MICRO servo.

You need a "Standard" sized servo. The SG servos they list for 9.95 are wonderful. They are much more powerful than many high end servos ( 130oz/in @6V ).

You are going to have a lot of questions since you've never done this before.

Your best bet is to join a Club.

Clubs usually will provide free training, and you'll get tons of help.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 AM
JUMPSTREET66
My Feedback: (5)

I just built the Falcon 25. It was to say the least a nightmare. The wings do not line up to the fuselage,the servo compartment is very small and you have to attach the wings from inside and a laundry list of others including a limited instruction manual(Pictures!). The landing gear needs to be beefed up,the included hardware is definately junk,do not use anything but the steel parts. And if you do complete it ,get someone to trim it , because YOU WILL have your hands full. It will upon lift off, try to torque right or left right out of the gate. I shot straight up and got alot of altitude !
I also electrofied mine, you can take a look at my gallery. Good Luck !
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not wanting to discredit NitroPlanes in anyway. I would recomend you go with a "major" brand plane for your first. The hardware is generaly usable in ARFs by Great Planes, Hobbico, Carl Goldberg, Hanger 9, Top Flight and Sig (my favorite). The biggest difference is the assembley instructions. Also they have, in the insructions, comprehensive lists of what else you will need to complete the kit and prober set up procedures. While NP sells nice planes at a great value the begginner is going to be frustrated by the lack of detail and the use of the "Engrish" language in their instructions. After you build a couple of the higher end ARFs with detailed instructions you will be able to put a NP ARF together without difficulty. With that said, if you have an experienced ARF builder/assembler that can help you... then go for it.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:28 PM
outdoorhunting

OK, one thing to consider is size. I'd stick to a "40' or a "60" size. They are more popular & cheaper. Mr67stang is exactly right. You will spend a little more,but go to a major brand. Notro puts out good planes but the instruction will send you to the funny farm if you're not an experienced builder. Just about all the major brands have good, well decent hardware that you can use. They have good instructions that is in english. As long as you follow them & don't get in a hurry shouldn't have any problem. Everybody has said it but it won't hurt to say it again, do yourself a big favor & follow their advice.. Go to: www.towerhobbies.com Find an ARF & have at it !!!! Good luck
Old 08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
kid chuckles

Them guys are right about a high wing trainer plane. Then go to something else after learning the basics good. You will have a good idea of what your limitations are then and are apt. to get a better suited plane for your second one. And Nitro does not have the best track record for sending all of what you order or having instructions worth a darn. With the manufactures listed above you can call and someone will be there to help THEN. You don't have to wait six weeks to finally get someone to help if your having a problem. Nitro has cheap planes but there is a very good reason for it. Just look at the request topic here. That should tell u something if not then good luck you will need it.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: JUMPSTREET66

I just built the Falcon 25. It was to say the least a nightmare. The wings do not line up to the fuselage,the servo compartment is very small and you have to attach the wings from inside and a laundry list of others including a limited instruction manual(Pictures!). The landing gear needs to be beefed up,the included hardware is definately junk,do not use anything but the steel parts. And if you do complete it ,get someone to trim it , because YOU WILL have your hands full. It will upon lift off, try to torque right or left right out of the gate. I shot straight up and got alot of altitude !
I also electrofied mine, you can take a look at my gallery. Good Luck !
Hmmm...

I used all of the provided hardware w/o problems. It's worked just fine. I've only added a bit of expoxy to strengthen the gear area...

Lining up the wings is up to you. I had no problems with this. They should be epoxied in place after sanding the contact surfaces smooth and planar.

The fuselage compartment is not "very small". I'm able to throw 3800mAh 14.8v battery packs in there w/o problems, so fitting the servos is certainly not a problem.

There's a whole thread on the Bobcat .50 that applies to this plane.

The "torque" you experienced was NOT torque but a rather a wing stall. The plane actually tracks very straight. It is related to the "I shot straight up" comment...

The "I Shot Straight Up".... is the result of the wrong angle of attack ( covered in the bobcat thread ) because the plane's "stance" is wrong.

The plane needs a positive AOA with the nose slightly up or high. You need to adjust the gear to attain this. Once done it takes off very nicely.
All of this also applies both to the Falcon/Bobcat's bigger cousins and also to the Kingcats, etc....

As usual the manual is indeed horrendous, as you said, but if you are attempting to assemble one of these pusher jet planes, you should be a fairly experienced and advanced flyer and ARF builder, so this should not be an issue.

The Falcon/Bobcat's are somewhat "advanced" planes, in spite of their looks, which novices are advised to stay away from.

If you know what you are doing, the little Falcon/Bobcat is a fun little rocket...

Mine draws about 800watts @ 50 amps off a 3800mAh 14.8v battery. I'm using an NP "Monster .25" motor ( excellent motor by the way... ) pushing an 8x6 APC standard prop, reversed... I get 10-14 minutes of high speed flight.

Landings require a spoileron setup with compensating elevator trim. I've covered this in the Bobcat thread.

With the spoileron settings, the Falcon/Bobcat comes in at a very "Jet like" attitude... landing nose high and decellerating quickly due to the extra drag. It's quite impressive to see it land just like a full boat Kingcat...