Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Bobcat 50 fuse

Old 08-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Deer Park Aerodrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobcat 50 fuse

I received a Bobcat 50 for Christmas last year. After recently putting it togather and test running it with an OS AX55 engine I noticed that the glass is cracking where the motor platform meets the fuse. There is a lot of flex in that area and the cracks open up more with pressure. Will you send a replacement yellow/red fuse under warrenty? Pics can be sent if necessary. Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM
opjose

Default RE: Bobcat 50 fuse

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but it may be much faster than waiting for a replacement...

Mix up some 30 minute epoxy.

Add about 20% more by volume of Isopropyl Alcohol ( The hardware store kind, not the drug store kind ).

Mix it until the epoxy is thinner, and while flexing the area "out" to open it, apply the mix from the inside.

Get the interior fully coated and wet.

Clamp it closed, and let it dry.

Now put fiberglass cloth over the cracked area on the inside, and make up another similiar mix.

Apply the epoxy liberally, and let dry.

This will be harder than the original fuse setup.

I do this all the time on cracked fiberglass, including wheel pants.

If the crack seem is visible, put some striping tape over it, on both sides of the fuse to hide the area.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
outdoorhunting

Do it exactly the way opjose said.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Deer Park Aerodrome

Are ya'll giving this advice from experiance with your Bobcat cracking? I am trying to avoid adding any more weight to the rear. Already have the battery in the nose. Answer seemed obvious if this is a continuing problem with the model. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
opjose

Not from the Bobcat itself, just in general with fiberglass materials.

Doing what I mentioned adds no appreciable weight, but it does strengthen the area beyond even what a new fuse would buy you.

That is why it is worth doing anyway, as you are re-inforcing things.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 AM
HeliTB

I drilled the holes for the anti-rotation bar in the wrong place, so my wings were crooked. I knew I couldn't flight it like that. What I did was mix some 5 min epoxy and epoxied the inside with fiberglass cloth and then cut up fiberglass cloth and mixed it with epoxy to fill the hole. Then added another fiberglass cloth and epoxy on the outside. Re-drilled the correct hole no problems.

Did you possibly overtighten the engine screws putting a lot of pressure on the fuse? Also did you balance your prop? Excessive vibration can be destructive.