Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

p-47 Thunderbolt (foam electric)

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

p-47 Thunderbolt (foam electric)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
willi08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p-47 Thunderbolt (foam electric)

I bought a p-47 Thunderbolt electric foam warbird from Nitro planes. This plane comes 90% assembled the only thing you have to install is the wing servo for the ailerons and the battery, put on the tail assembly and wings and your pretty much ready to go....
This plane won’t fly.....
Here’s the story....First of all I'm a long time pilot and builder. I took this out of the box for inspection. The first thing i noticed was the cockpit so i put it on the fuselage to check the fit not even close looked at the direction nothing on installing the cockpit. Started to put the servo in the wing slot again not even close had to enlarge the slot to get the servo in.
rest of the assembly went ok but the directions are pretty sketchy. First time builder probably would have had problems with this assembly. I did get everything assembled and took my plane out for its first flight. Powered it up checked all the flight controls looks good to go. Started takeoff roll full power on, rear tail came up gave a little up elevator wont take off so i stopped rechecked everything rear elevator servo was froze. Replaced it with an extra one i had off another plane. Started takeoff roll again applied full power with full up elevator on the stick still wont lift off at this point the plane wheel hit something in the pavement and nosed into the pavement. Broke a prop maybe that's why they give you 2 props. Broke 1 landing gear no other damage. About now I'm thinking motor, battery something's not right so i checked the battery for charge it was ok full charge. Motor isn’t hot seems ok.
I took off other landing gear thought the weight of gear being off might help. Tried a hand launch went about 3ft. stalled and nosed into the ground broke 2nd prop no other damage.
This plane will take minor crashes pretty well. I do like the plane seems to be built pretty well
but the electronics are terrible. So now i know this plane is underpowered the motor is to small for the plane. How can you sell a plane with a motor that won’t fly the plane???
Pretty frustrated now so i called the company for help and told them my problem I will say they seemed to try to help they did ask what i would like to do and i told them i wanted a motor that would power the plane. They said they had nothing available and if i could find a motor that would work they would work with me but as it is there is no other motor that will fit in the mount provided. The motor in the plane is a brushed 370 fit into a mount already.
So short of buying a new motor that will have to require a lot of fitting to get it to work I'm stuck with a perfectly good plan that don’t fly....What to do ??????? []
Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 PM
nitrostaff1

Default RE: p-47 Thunderbolt (foam electric)

what's your order number? I'll issue rma for an one time exchange.

John
Nitro Planes

Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 AM
willi08

yhst 17210252890263-55719
Do i need to send this plane back to you
Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
nitrostaff1

Yes rma issued.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
mastergunner

I have this plane but need to know the CG. Can someone help me with that. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
nitrostaff1

emailed manufactuerer and I'll get back to you on this one.

John
Nitro Planes
ORIGINAL: mastergunner

I have this plane but need to know the CG. Can someone help me with that. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
rc2007

The problem here is that this another plane that comes with too small of a motor, I don't see how replacing with another plane is going to solve the prob. It's poorly manufactured and engineered and alot of these RTF planes have the absolute cheapest electronics included. Its what i call a one flight wonder, you might get one flight then throw it away after the crash.

Not trying to insult, just stating facts.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:23 AM
opjose

No it WILL fly just fine with the included motor... there is no problem with it what-so-ever.

Your problem is the BATTERY!

You'll need to initially charge and discharge the battery a few times, then OVERCHARGE it a bit to condition it.

I do this with a computer controlled charger that takes the batteries up to 110% capacity. Once done it works provided you do not have a bad cell.

Normally these things have been sitting in a warehouse for a while and the batteries tend to come in a relatively poor state.

Consider purchasing a higher capacity second party battery of slightly higher voltage.

The motor and ESC will handle 9-10 volts just fine and you'll get greatly improved performance and run time. You'll be amazed with the performance difference.

It seems that with most Asian NiMH and NiCD cheap RTF planes this is always a problematic area. Heck even with TH cheapies this is also true.

I've purchased several ( and not from Nitroplanes ) from other vendors and they all were exactly the same way... seemingly no power until I swapped in a new battery, though on occasion conditioning and overcharging worked wonders.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
willi08

I recharged the battery fully before flying. It recomended 2hrs of charging before flying. I charged it approx 2-1/2 hrs.
I also checked the battery for charge and it read 8.9v using a digital volt meter so i believe it was at full charge. I also recharged it a couple times since with no differance in performance
My question is that how do you determine that the motor is at full power when the stick is at full throttle. The motor should turn at full power as long as the voltage on the battery is at full charge. A new battery of higher voltage may correct the problem but the battery with the plane should drive the plane enough to take it off and fly the plane if only for a few minutes. Is there any way to load the battery to see if it is good or not. I like this plane if i could just get it to fly. I need to contact someone else who has the same plane and see if their having the same problem. I think its pretty bad for a company to sell you a product that doesn't work.

Willi
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM
willi08

do you have the p-47 thunderbolt....have you flown the plane yet ? If you have please contact me...I also had to move the battery back just about under the cockpit. Otherwise it was nose heavy.
Again please contact me at my e-mail if you have the p-47 t-bolt <[email protected]>

Thanks, Willi
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM
RYRAM

ORIGINAL: willi08

I bought a p-47 Thunderbolt electric foam warbird from Nitro planes. This plane comes 90% assembled the only thing you have to install is the wing servo for the ailerons and the battery, put on the tail assembly and wings and your pretty much ready to go....
This plane won’t fly.....
Here’s the story....First of all I'm a long time pilot and builder. I took this out of the box for inspection. The first thing i noticed was the cockpit so i put it on the fuselage to check the fit not even close looked at the direction nothing on installing the cockpit. Started to put the servo in the wing slot again not even close had to enlarge the slot to get the servo in.
rest of the assembly went ok but the directions are pretty sketchy. First time builder probably would have had problems with this assembly. I did get everything assembled and took my plane out for its first flight. Powered it up checked all the flight controls looks good to go. Started takeoff roll full power on, rear tail came up gave a little up elevator wont take off so i stopped rechecked everything rear elevator servo was froze. Replaced it with an extra one i had off another plane. Started takeoff roll again applied full power with full up elevator on the stick still wont lift off at this point the plane wheel hit something in the pavement and nosed into the pavement. Broke a prop maybe that's why they give you 2 props. Broke 1 landing gear no other damage. About now I'm thinking motor, battery something's not right so i checked the battery for charge it was ok full charge. Motor isn’t hot seems ok.
I took off other landing gear thought the weight of gear being off might help. Tried a hand launch went about 3ft. stalled and nosed into the ground broke 2nd prop no other damage.
This plane will take minor crashes pretty well. I do like the plane seems to be built pretty well
but the electronics are terrible. So now i know this plane is underpowered the motor is to small for the plane. How can you sell a plane with a motor that won’t fly the plane???
Pretty frustrated now so i called the company for help and told them my problem I will say they seemed to try to help they did ask what i would like to do and i told them i wanted a motor that would power the plane. They said they had nothing available and if i could find a motor that would work they would work with me but as it is there is no other motor that will fit in the mount provided. The motor in the plane is a brushed 370 fit into a mount already.
So short of buying a new motor that will have to require a lot of fitting to get it to work I'm stuck with a perfectly good plan that don’t fly....What to do ??????? []

I ALSO BOUGHT THE NITROPLANES P 47 RTF, SADDLY IT WAS NOT.. UNLIKE YOU THIS WAS MY FIRST PLANE AT THE TIME, AND IT WAS RATHER FRUSTRATING. I WOULD HAVE BENEFITED FROM CG PLACEMENT IN THE DIRECTIONS.. I MUST HAVE BEAT IT UP TRYING TO TAKE OFF ABOUT 6 TIMES BEFORE I DECIDED TO GO SHOPPING AND RESEARCH GOING BRUSHLESS..THE CLOSEST I COULD GET TO FLYING IT WAS BALOONING TRYING TO TAKE OFF STALL STALL STALL, IF IT WERE TO HAVE FLOWN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TO SLOW TO TREAT IT LIKE AFIGHTER..SO I UPGRADE THE THING TO BRUSHLESS NEW ESC AND A LIPO BATTERY, AND WITHOUT KNOWING THE CG CRASH IT NUMEROUS TIMES, I KEPT FIXING IT.. AS TIME GOES ON I LEARN THAT BEING A BOTTOM WING FIGHTER THIS IS NEARLY ONE OF THE HARDEST PLANES TO TRY TO LEARN ON.. EVENTUALLY I CAN NO LONGER FIX IT, IT,S ALL GLUE AND TAPE.. IF I WERE,NT SO PERSISTENT AND EAGER TO SEE THIS WORK, I WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLING THE COMPANY, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..I'M NOT TRYING TO BASH NITROPLANES BUT IF IT SAYS RTF IT SHOULD FLY..HERE ARE AFEW SUGGESTIONS I WOULD PASS TO NITROPLANES ON THIS MODEL.. INCLUDE CG INSTRUCTIONS
INCLUDE CONTROL HORN QUICK CONNECTS, ITS GOTTA BE PERFECT ON THIS
KIND OF PLANE
AND EITHER INCLUDE A BIGGER MORE POWERFUL BATTERY, OR LIPO
UPGRADE THE MOTOR TO A 400
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM
RYRAM

HELLO JOHN I AM ALSO CURIOUS AS TO THE CG PLACEMENT . ALSO WHERE CAN I GET MORE OF THE 27 MHZ RECEIVERS I HAVE TWO OF THESE P 47'S AND ONE OF THESE RECEIVERS IS PRETTY BEAT UP FROM CRASHES. I HAVE BEEN USING THE ELECTRONICS FROM MY FIRST P 47 IN SOME SCATCH BUILDS.. I CAN'T FIND WHERE TO BUY THEM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
RYRAM

ALSO MAKE SURE THE TRIM CONTROL FOR THE THROTTLE IS ALL THE WAY UP, IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
willi08

wow sorry to hear about your first experience hope you dont give up on it. Rc flying is really a fun sport once you find the right plane. If you are just starting try a high wing trainer plane they are much easier to fly and will get you acquainted with the sport.
However no matter what you do this sport can and does get expensive so keep that in mind.
Right now i'm planning on keeping my p47. As the last time i tried to fly it the motor burned up wich didnt suprise me so i still have not been able to get it off the ground. The motor and electronics are crap. I have a brushless motor i'm going to retro fit into it but its going to require me to cut off the nose of the plane and redesign it to get it to work. I will get this plane off the ground and it will fly.
It's pretty poor of the company to let people keep buying this set up without giving them some kind of heads up. I have found the warbirds are very hard to fly if your not use to flying. I will give you one more piece of advice that you probably already know....
stay away from the 370 brushed motor. I should have known better i had one once before that burned up after the 2nd flight
Good luck with your next one.. spend a little extra get a good brushless package and high wing plane and you should be ok.

Wheels up...Lets go flying
Willi08
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 PM
nitrostaff1

CG for the planes

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84701.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1070457  
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
nitrostaff1

what's your order number? I can send you a receiver.

John
Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: RYRAM

HELLO JOHN I AM ALSO CURIOUS AS TO THE CG PLACEMENT . ALSO WHERE CAN I GET MORE OF THE 27 MHZ RECEIVERS I HAVE TWO OF THESE P 47'S AND ONE OF THESE RECEIVERS IS PRETTY BEAT UP FROM CRASHES. I HAVE BEEN USING THE ELECTRONICS FROM MY FIRST P 47 IN SOME SCATCH BUILDS.. I CAN'T FIND WHERE TO BUY THEM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 PM
RYRAM

JOHN, THANKS FOR THE ILLUSTRATION ON CG, EXTREMELY HELPFUL TO MANY OF US I'M SURE. I'VE BEEN DIS HEARTENED AFTER MY FIRST P 47, I BOUGHT AN EASY STAR TO GET SOME FLIGHT TIME, IT' BEEN A FEW MONTHS NOW AND I'M READY TO TRY MY SECOND ONE ... I'M GOING TO SET IT UP STOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE BATTERY, I'M GOING TO USE A 1300 3 CELL LIPO, I'VE ADDED A DEANS CONNECTION TO THE SUPPLIED ESC, SO WITH THAT AND CG KNOWLEDGE I'VE GOT A SHOT.... MY ORDER NUMBER IS 384773.. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR WILLINGNESS TO SEND ME A RECEIVER..PLEASE LET ME KNOW VIA THIS THREAD OR EMAIL IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFORMATION.. THANKS AGAIN...RYRAM

[email protected] possible order numbers 384773 yhst-17210252890263-46741
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 AM
RYRAM

ON MY FIRST P 47 I WAS ABLE TO STAY WITH THE STICK MOUNT STYLE WHEN I WENT TO BRUSHLESS..I HAD AN OUTRUNNER FROM TOWER PRO ALUMINUM MOUNT THAT I SCREWED TO A STICK MOUNT FOR THE 370 WITHOUT THE MOTOR AND AFTER TAKING THE GEAR OFF. A LITTLE DRILLING AND MESSING AROUND AND IT WORKED. HOWEVER I DID HAVE TO DREMEL THE STICK ALITTLE SHORTER TO MAKE IT LOOK RIGHT.[MOTOR SET BACK IN THE COWL]..THAT WAS MY FIRST PLANE AT THE TIME I HAD THE HARDEST TIME TRYING TO FIND A STICK MOUNT FOR BRUSHLESS. SINCE THEN HOWEVER I DISCOVERED A WONDERFUL LITTLE CLOVER LEAF LOOKING MOUNT FROM I THINK E FLIGHT, NO GEAR IN THE WAY TO REMOVE AND IT'S MADE FOR RECEIVING OUTRUNNER BRUSHLESS, COMES WITH THE ALUMINUM SPACERS AND SCREWS NEEDED.....MY POINT IN WRITING THIS IS YOU MAY NOT NEED TO CUT THE COWL OFF TO DO YOUR UPGRADE. STICK WITH THE STICK UNTIL IT IS GONE, THEN GO FOR THE FIREWALL STYLE MOUNTING AS A LAST RESORT.. THE MOUNTS ARE AROUND 5 BUCKS..
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
willi08

Hey, thanks for the tip I think I will try that. I went to my favorite site and looked up motor mounts and I think I found the one you are talking about. I’m going to give it a try. Might have to shorten the post like you did but that would save me a lot of work....thanks,... keep me informed on how u make out with your p47 maybe we can help each other out.

Willi08
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
RYRAM

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitrostaff1

John
Nitro Planes

[quote]ORIGINAL: RYRAM

thanks again for the offer, i have two possible numbers i don't know which you need.. the first i had written to you previously it is 384773..the other is yhst-17210252890263-46741..both of which were a part of the same order...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
RYRAM

I have put my order numbers on this thread in a reply to you, haven't heard anything.. like i mentioned originally i would by them, the 27 mhz receiver, shouldn't be hard to arrange noone likes them, they are interference prone. thanks ryram
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 AM
RYRAM

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitrostaff1

John
Nitro Planes

Hello, it has been quite awhile since i have given you my order no. still haven't heard anything, or received any emails about it.. i offered to buy. would be nice if spare parts to your products were possible to attain..thanks

ryram
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM
aak1120
My Feedback: (5)

I havent yet flow the P-47 but I am expecting one by tomorrow. Is there another battery that I could buy that would jump up the power a little without a new motor purchase?

Andrew
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
nitrostaff1

new receiver sent. 27mhz.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Megafan625

I just bought the P-47 and attempted to fly it this weekend. The only problem was that it was way too windy and I couldnt get it to go full speed in a straight line to try and take off. Im going to try again this weekend as long as the weather conditions allow a good flight. I will let you all know if I do actually get it off the ground. It seems like it does have enough power but then again this is my first plane so I am just figuring this stuff out as I go. Anways, wish me luck and I will get back to this thread after my flight this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.