Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Begginers planes?

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Begginers planes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Begginers planes?

I have been looking for a cheap plane to get my Dad for Christmas. Im pretty sure it will get wrecked, so I dont want to spend $150 on one.

I found the Nitromodels site from a banner ad and Im still scratching my head.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/blpmulouivra.html

This is a complete ready to run plane for $35? Whats the catch? This junk? No replacement parts? Built mega cheap?

Im also considering:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html

I might get one of each? Im green and know nothing. Please help!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:58 PM
opjose

Default RE: Begginers planes?

These are basically rudder/throttle planes.

They are very lightly loaded on the wings so they need little airspeed to fly.

Giving them throttle causes the planes to fly and the rudder can cause them to turn.

But that is about all of the control you have.

As a result they do not do very well in winds.

Fly them on a very calm day and you'll do OK.

As with most RC planes, crash the plane and you are looking at a replacement airframe at the least... forget about parts... even when available it is often not worth it... Most RC'ers learn to make their own repairs, hence the preferance for Balsa planes where parts can be easily refrabricated from balsa stock...

Note however that around here we tend to consider planes of this level as "toys".

Why?

Well while they are extremely easy to play with, they do not really teach you how to fly an RC aircraft.

For the latter you normally start out with a 4 channel trainer that provides a full complement of control surfaces.

That's not to say that the planes you listed may not be enjoyable, but an experienced flyer will definitely have an easier time with them.

If your Dad likes RC, take him to a local club meeting.

Most clubs provide training... and often you can start out with a club trainer.

Drag him to a training session and see how he likes it.

Let him talk to the trainers at the field.

THEN decide which way he wants to go...

Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

I know this probably gets asked a lot (I dont see a simple FAQ on it tho):

Whats the cheapest yet decent Electric trainer?

Also, whats 3 channel?

Im a total noob. Theres just so much info Im overwhelmed.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
opjose

Normally planes have multiple control surfaces with corresponding controls.

e.g.

Throttle
Ailerons
Elevators
Rudder

And sometimes

Flaps
Retractable Landing Gear

The first four control areas or surfaces correspond to the minimum required to get an RC plane to fly like something you would actually see in the air carrying people or cargo.

Each of these surfaces require an independant transmitter ( TX ) "channel" to operate on. Thus the minimum for somewhat realistic flight and control is 4 channels.

Manufacturers will often design their "toy" level planes to utilize less than four channels/surfaces. They do this with careful design.

For beginners they often will forgo aileron controls in favor of elevators, rudder and throttle ( 3 Channel ).

This makes a simple RC plane fly in a more "car like" fashion, but you have no ROLL control, which unlike cars, is the PRIMARY way of turning an aircraft in flight...

In extreme cases 2 channels are used, on otherwise overly stable airplanes.

"Decent" trainers, are typically in the $299.00 or so price range for a complete setup.

These are usually much LARGER planes which makes them far easier to see.

Larger planes tend to respond more slowly to user inputs making them easier to control.

These "trainers" are geared at teaching the novice to fly. While docile they are quite capable.

RCKen has an awesome list of possibilities on one of the Stickies in these forums... you can also put together something yourself that is decent, but will be in the same approximate price range.

Note that almost all of the "best" beginner planes in RCKen's list are NOT electric, NOR made of foam... and they tend to be .40 in size or larger...

There are many tried and true reasons for all of this. For these same reasons most RC clubs utilize the .40 sized trainers and up for pilot training and certification.

"Noobs" may be best served by the starter packages that have everything BUT fuel, an ignitor and a starter or chicken stick...

Buy the latter items as well and you are ready to go!