Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Extra 330 CG

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
nimrim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 330 CG

The Extra 330 with a Saito 91 makes this airplane trail heavy with the CG as pictured in the instructions. Is this correct? How much lead weight is needed to balance this model. Is this typical of all Nitro Models to build light and add weight?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
opjose

Default RE: Extra 330 CG

The C.G. is not a fixed point.

The C.G. moves forward or back dependant upon how you have your plane configured, and weight distributed.

The Saito is a very light engine, so if you install one on this plane the C.G. will move pretty far back, making the plane tail heavy. This has nothing to do with how the plane was built. It has everything to do with the engine you elected to use.

You need to move your battery pack into the cowl area ( over/under the engine is good ) to move "working" weight forward, so that you can avoid to have to add lead weights to the plane.

Check the C.G. position after doing so. Try to adjust things within the fuselage so that the C.G. of the plane occurs about 1/4" or more FORWARD of the recommended C. G. in the instructions.

This is a safety measure, as having it slightly forward will never hurt, but having it too far aft WILL!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 AM
nimrim

No problem I can change engines. What engine do I need to install?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 AM
opjose

There is no NEED to change out the engine... you merely selected a very light one.

You need to redistribute the items you've installed in the fuse and cowl as I've mentioned.

Remember that moving the engine forward 1/4" can also have a rather dramatic effect on the location of the C.G.... more so than adding weight.... while NOT affecting wing loading adversely at all.

Is this the first time you tackle something like this?