Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Control Problem with PBY Catalina

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Control Problem with PBY Catalina

Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Problem with PBY Catalina

To Nitrostaff1

Hello John.

I finally completed the assembly of my new RTF PBY Catalina, Order No. 462629. On initial startup today I found that the motors start randomly and unexpectedly. They do start and run when I open the throttle, so that's OK. But when I command full right aileron or full right rudder they also start and run at a pretty high speed. Pretty dangerous, I'm lucky they didn't get me the first time it happened.

It seems to me that, with full stick deflection, either the transmitter is sending the wrong signals to the receiver or the receiver is mis-interpreting the signals and sending the wrong commands to the ESC. Either way, it seems to me that I have defective hardware. This behavior occurs with a fully charged flight pack and fresh batteries in the transmitter.

My system is on Channel 54 in the 72 MHz band.

Can you help me correct this problem, please. I would very much like to fly this airplane but I dare not try it with this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Frank Phelps
Old 12-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Control Problem with PBY Catalina

I can't help you but please don't fly what must be a beautiful PBY until you correct the problem. If you crack it up please don't tell me.

Bill
Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Fishin Geezer

Hi Bill

It's just that little foamie by GuanLi that NitroPlanes, and others, was selling. Kind of cute and some reports say it flies well.

I won't be flying it until I resolve these problems!!

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79385.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1095732  
Old 12-24-2008, 05:27 PM
opjose

Geezer

I've seen that some of these planes ( I don't have the Catalina ) arrive with their channel assignments incorrectly hooked up, the TX set for Delta wingers, or channels reversed or some combination there-of.

Disconnect ALL of the receiver connectors,

Then plug in ONLY the connector from the ESC. Always make sure that you have the polarity right, as you can damage the components...

Operate the TX and check to see that the left stick is responding properly, causing the throttle to advance.

If not, move the other sticks to determine which channel is causing a response.

Put the connector in so that you get a proper response from the throttle, then move the aileron controls with the throttle down.

Hopefully you will NOT see the same problem as before

BTW: did you FULLY extend the antenna on the plane?

Plug the other channels back in and check each for proper response.

Things to watch out for:

- Testing your plane in house is a bit risky. WiFi interferes with 72mHz BIG TIME!
Turn off your TX and your plane may go nuts picking up your home network, wireless phone, or even microwave!

- Having the TX too close to the plane can cause strange results, as you are overloading the receiver electroncs!

- Not having the antenna at least partially extended can also cause strange results.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks for all the interesting ideas, opjose. I will try that "one channel at a time" test sequence.

I noted in my first post that the motors do respond to throttle stick position. The problem is that they also respond to the position of other sticks[].

I'm working in my little shop out behind the house. 50 feet or so from the kitchen and its microwave oven. I don't have any WiFi operating but I can't be sure about my neighbors. No wireless phone but I do have my cell phone nearby but I think thats at 2.4 GHz.

The receiver antenna is pretty well extended except for the last 3 or 4 inches which hang down around the vertical fin.

A friend stopped by and we tried it with the TX antenna fully extended and fully retracted. Same behavior. Unfortunately, we didn't try it with the TX further removed from the plane. I'll have to try that but it's more difficult when I'm working alone.

Given this simple "SkySport 4" radio (non-computer??) I doubt that it's probrammed for some other type model.

Hopefully I'll hear back from NitroPlanes with some help. In any case I'll continue to post progress until it's resolved.

Thanks
Frank

Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Fishin Geezer

Given this simple "SkySport 4" radio (non-computer??) I doubt that it's probrammed for some other type model.

Hopefully I'll hear back from NitroPlanes with some help. In any case I'll continue to post progress until it's resolved.

Thanks
Frank

Flipping ( if I recall correctly ) one of the switches changes the SkySport from a "V" tail or Delta configuration, to a standard 4ch plane config.

Try the one channel at a time test.

That may help to narrow the problem down.

It would be a lot quicker to get NP to replace the correct component than trying to obtain a replacement plane at the moment since they are out of the Catalina, and it could take a month to get a replacement.

If you have another TX and matching reciever, try that too if possible.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Fishin Geezer

Hello Again

Don't know where I'd find information about "flipping" a SkyPort stick but I'll do some searching for it. The package came with no information about the radio.

I've not been expecting NP to replace the package, just hoping for the components needed to make it work right. I don't want to have to package up the asembled wing, it's much too long!!

I do have a couple of new receivers, Airtronics 2.4 GHz. Besides being maybe too heavy they cost $80 each. As we used to say when I was a horseman, that's like a forty dollar saddle on a twenty dollar horse. So, we'll see. I may try that.

Thanks

Frank

Frank
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 AM
opjose

It would be worth trying one of those receivers, if only temporarily.

That way NP could send out a replacement RX/TX if required, and you would know that this will fix the problem.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 AM
nitrostaff1

see my pm to you.

John
Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: Fishin Geezer

To Nitrostaff1

Hello John.

I finally completed the assembly of my new RTF PBY Catalina, Order No. 462629. On initial startup today I found that the motors start randomly and unexpectedly. They do start and run when I open the throttle, so that's OK. But when I command full right aileron or full right rudder they also start and run at a pretty high speed. Pretty dangerous, I'm lucky they didn't get me the first time it happened.

It seems to me that, with full stick deflection, either the transmitter is sending the wrong signals to the receiver or the receiver is mis-interpreting the signals and sending the wrong commands to the ESC. Either way, it seems to me that I have defective hardware. This behavior occurs with a fully charged flight pack and fresh batteries in the transmitter.

My system is on Channel 54 in the 72 MHz band.

Can you help me correct this problem, please. I would very much like to fly this airplane but I dare not try it with this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Frank Phelps