Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Exceed FA-18 Hornet

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Exceed FA-18 Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM
sayber1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed FA-18 Hornet

I recieved my F-18 Hornet a couple of days ago. It looked get until I took it out of the box. The left wing was damged during shippimg. I figured, Well I finally got it so i'll just fix it, and I did. After putting the plane together and charging the battery, I tried to power the plan up to set my throws. As soon as I plugged in the battery, the plane started twitching very badly with no or very intermintant input response. I unpluged the battery and inspected the electronic of the plan. I found the the aleron y harness was cut on both sides of the fuseladge and the reciever antenna was also cut as well.I checked the BEC and it was smoking hot. Needless to say disapointment was an understatment. I have done a lot of business with you and, fortunately never had a problem. This plane was ordered by my wife as my christmas present, and now, there's a problem!? The problem here is that I already assembled the plane, the electronics are no good. The BEC, I discovered is under rated to handle the load on this plane. Cut wires and harness!? What do I do?

I feel an appropriate reslove to this would be to send me another plane and tell me what you want me to do with this very nice looking staic display. I am confident that you will make this right. Thank you

Order info:

Order # yhst-17210252890263-64676

Name Code Qty Each Options
-
Exceed-RC F/A-18C Hornet ExceedJet_06A05-F18-Gray-RTF 1 219.90 Add RC Flight Simulator Software? =
4-Channel 70mm Yes! Train me how to fly. (+$19.95)
Electric-Ducted Fan,
Brushless Radio Remote
Control EDF RC Jet Ready
to Fly Gray Version
Subtotal 219.90
Shipping 10.72
Tax 18.14
Total 248.76

Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
opjose

Default RE: Exceed FA-18 Hornet

Make sure you PM, this same post to John ( nitrostaff1 ) here.

Give him a few days to reply.

He'll get you taken care of.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
nitrostaff1

I can exchange another ESC for you so you can try.

Let me know

John
Nitro Planes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
khurrramak

I recently bought the FA 18 and when I try to power it up, it keeps giving beeps ( beep beep beep) in sets of 10. All the servos work but the motor would not come on. Please advise what to do?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 AM
nitrostaff1

I think you are in programming mode. Did you flip the trottle channel reverser?

John
Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: khurrramak

I recently bought the FA 18 and when I try to power it up, it keeps giving beeps ( beep beep beep) in sets of 10. All the servos work but the motor would not come on. Please advise what to do?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 AM
khurrramak

I did flip channel reverser and tried starting in different throttle positions but no response. It keeps beeping in sets of three for 10 consecetive times
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
opjose

Yup that is definitely programming mode.

Put the throttle opposite to what you started out with before, then turn on the TX, then with the plane held firmly turn on the plane.

Once you hear the first beep bring the throttle down.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
sayber1

Sounds good, but what should i do about the cut y harness and RX antenna? Please let me know how we will make my plane flyable. Looking at it just sitting there is driving me crazy. I want to fly my new plane! Thank you.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
opjose

Sayber1:

Things get confusing when someone else chimes into the same thread with a different problem.

John may have assumed that all you need is a new ESC, since we were answering khurrramak's post.

Try PM'ing him again with your original post and add that you have multiple things wrong that need attention.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
nitrostaff1

ok I'll send you a new ESC, 1 x Y harness, Receiver. will this fix the problem?

Let me know

John
Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: sayber1

Sounds good, but what should i do about the cut y harness and RX antenna? Please let me know how we will make my plane flyable. Looking at it just sitting there is driving me crazy. I want to fly my new plane! Thank you.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:05 AM
bling23

To Nitrostaff1

I just got my new Exceed F/A 18-C from your company,OrderID: 501979..... It's my understanding I would need to swap out the BEC and or the ESC since it came with a 14.8 v battery???? Also the tube of glue that came in the package had 3/4 air and hardly no glue. Another problem I have, I connected my battery and all I hear is a series of beeps and no response from the remote control.javascript:void(AddText('[]',''))
Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 AM
opjose

The 14.8v battery drives the plane very well.

However you are advised to put in a separate BEC yourself. But this is totally up to you.

You can pick them up fairly cheaply.
See the other threads where I've given links to some BEC suppliers.

Re: Beeps

Did you install the batteries in the TX correctly? Make sure you have all of the polarities right.

If so have you tried assuring the TX crystal is making contact properly?

If it is loose the ESC will go into programming mode, which causes the BEEPS you are hearing.

Also you must initialize the ESC by moving the throttle to idle down from full, after plugging in the plane.

Have you worked with Electrics before? ( just to know your experience level? )

Re: Glue

Forget about the included glue.

Use 30 minute epoxy instead.

It will give you a longer working and setup time so you can align the wings properly.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 AM
bling23

Thanks for the fast response, I'll giving all your suggestions a try and will get back to you. As for my experience with EDF's....I'm new at it but I pretty good at following instructions and troubleshooting but the package didn't come with much instructions with troubleshoots or tips. But yes, I'm a green horn looking forward to learning as much as I can. I bought the flight simulator to get lots of practice with my radio control before I fly my F18 Hornet (70 mm)

I did install batteries correctly in the TX
I checked to assure the TX crystal is making contact.
I'll buy some 5 minute epoxy to glue the wings together first thing in the morning.
I'll initialize the ESC after plugging in the battery.

Any suggestions on a good place to pick up a charger and extra batteries for my F18?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM
opjose

Re: Charger and batteries

So you've flown other planes before right?

Do you have other electric planes? Any glow planes?

What electrics do you have now and what size batteries do they use.

Have you put together ARFs both electric and glow?

PM me if you would and we can discuss the charger/batteries... but I'll best be able to help if I know the above.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
sayber1

That should do it. Please let me know when I can expect to recieve them. thank you
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Jabird73

I have a couple of issues with mine, but I will write back later after everything is fully tested. But right now, my issues are the red servo, the radio seems ok. The receiver is shot. I did change out the BEC to a hextronix 3amp. I havnt tested the fan yet, or charged the battery. I hope all goes well. This is my first purchase from Nitro. Im sortof disappointed. So we will see. after i get it all back together. Ho-Hum
Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 AM
bling23

yeah, I'm very dissapointed with nitroplanes. I also think my receiver is shot. I have not yet been able to get my planes servos to function or the motor to start. I'm going to take it to a local hobby shop and have them take a look at it and run it through its test.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: bling23

yeah, I'm very dissapointed with nitroplanes. I also think my receiver is shot.
You would have a big reason to be disappointed if they didn't help get you working...

But has John said that he wouldn't help you out?

I have not yet been able to get my planes servos to function or the motor to start.
Then the thing to do is to PM John here about this ( nitrostaff1 ) and see what he has to say.

I'm going to take it to a local hobby shop and have them take a look at it and run it through its test.
Well they could hook up another receiver, but I would advise that you wait and PM, you don't want to have them short out something screwing around, making it more difficult to exchange your plane if needed.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 PM
nitrostaff1

No problem let me know what's the result and I'll fix it.

John
Nitro Planes

yeah, I'm very dissapointed with nitroplanes. I also think my receiver is shot. I have not yet been able to get my planes servos to function or the motor to start. I'm going to take it to a local hobby shop and have them take a look at it and run it through its test.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
sayber1

John, Have you sent these items out to me yet. I'm thinking that it's getting confusing with all the other posts to my thread. Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
nitrostaff1

Yes it will go out tomorrow.

John
Nitro Planes

John, Have you sent these items out to me yet. I'm thinking that it's getting confusing with all the other posts to my thread. Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
opjose

Yeah sorry Sayber1, your thread was hijacked!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Jabird73

ORIGINAL: Jabird73

I have a couple of issues with mine, but I will write back later after everything is fully tested. But right now, my issues are the red servo, the radio seems ok. The receiver is shot. I did change out the BEC to a hextronix 3amp. I havnt tested the fan yet, or charged the battery. I hope all goes well. This is my first purchase from Nitro. Im sortof disappointed. So we will see. after i get it all back together. Ho-Hum

Ok so I finished testing everything. Needless to say I'm not one happy camper at all. I have 5 things wrong with my F-18c. My order number is 501765. First off the Receiver is bad. I checked out the "PWM out"on the channels with an oscilloscope and it cuts out. The on board filter chip is bad. So It glitches horribly. #2. The red servo, which I am guessing is a reversed servo is bad, it jumps and is not smooth and is very notchy. All the other black servos are ok. The wing servos are awesome. I cannot get out the red servo without messing up the fuselage because it is glued in place. I hope you decide on a fuselage because I should not be required to tear up the finish and the body to change out an defective servo. #3. My ESC is not working. Fan spools but cuts in and out and does not reach full speed. #4 The motor housing is rubbing the inside of the fan case. and appears to be bent. #5 here is the biggie. Battery pack is shot. Now I don't know what took out what. But with the ESC/BEC and motor crooked. Im sure that contributed to these parts failing. It appears it was all one big slippery slope from the get-go. But hey, the radio is OK. I charged the battery on my Hyperion charger.

I hooked up some of my other stuff to this plane and no difference. I definitely got a Friday 4:55pm unit.... Like I said, this is my first order from nitro.. Not very pleased.

#1 Bad receiver
#2 Bad red servo
#3 Bad ESC
#4 Motor/fan unit
#5 Bad 4s Lipo
Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 PM
opjose

Remove and re-install the crystals on both the TX and the RX...

There have been numerous times that this clears up many of the issues surrounding both, as it seems that the contacts form a bit of a patina.

This may also be related to the problem you are seeing with the ESC, but I'm speculating...

Re: Rubbing.

This one is up to you.

Most inexpensive EDF's need a bit of work to make sure that rubbing does not occur.

A bit of sandpaper, while turning the fan blades, helps remove just enough plastic to prevent this from happening in flight.

Sport-Flyer magazine as well as Backyard Flyer magazine both had articles about preparing EDF's... including RTF ones.

You'll need to do this with most RTF and ARF edf's, the exceptions usually being the more expensive spread that come pre-dynamically balanced from the factory...

Re: Battery pack.

Out of curiosity have you put the pack on an intelligent charger/discharger to check it out?

In any event PM John here ( nitrostaff1 ) with the problem you are having... give him a few days to respond as he does not show up here every day.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Jabird73

ORIGINAL: opjose

Remove and re-install the crystals on both the TX and the RX...

There have been numerous times that this clears up many of the issues surrounding both, as it seems that the contacts form a bit of a patina.

This may also be related to the problem you are seeing with the ESC, but I'm speculating...

Re: Rubbing.

This one is up to you.

Most inexpensive EDF's need a bit of work to make sure that rubbing does not occur.

A bit of sandpaper, while turning the fan blades, helps remove just enough plastic to prevent this from happening in flight.

Sport-Flyer magazine as well as Backyard Flyer magazine both had articles about preparing EDF's... including RTF ones.

You'll need to do this with most RTF and ARF edf's, the exceptions usually being the more expensive spread that come pre-dynamically balanced from the factory...

Re: Battery pack.

Out of curiosity have you put the pack on an intelligent charger/discharger to check it out?

In any event PM John here ( nitrostaff1 ) with the problem you are having... give him a few days to respond as he does not show up here every day.

Ok. Opjose I had already done that. I tried different crystals, just to try everything. The oscilloscope doesn't lie. The receiver is bad. A different receiver with the exceed transmitter is ok. the receiver is bad.
The esc is fried, I tried my 50 amp ESC and the fan works. Thats how i noticed the rubs.
The rubbing is from the motor. not the fan blades. After closer inspection, it is the stator assembly rubbing the magnets. So it is an internal defect. But i took the fan off and put it on my balancer for piece of mind.
Yes the battery was balanced charged on my Hyperion 1210i. A total discharge and recharge yielded only 1700mah. its a 2200 mah pack. Thats only 77% of its rated Capacity.
The red servo is still bad.
I have gone over these items with a careful eye.

I know you don't know me from the next guy. I know you offer simple solutions to what appears to be a recurrent problem. My stuff is bad, please correct this issue. I will PM John this also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.