Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Exceed RC F/A 18C Help

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Exceed RC F/A 18C Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
636Stunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed RC F/A 18C Help

Just received my plane today from nitroplanes.com order# yhst-17210252890263-75041, before i began to assemble i wanted to make sure all the electronics were working properly. Charged up the battery, turned on the transmitter and hooked her up. The aileron and elevator servos seem to be functioning properly but the steerable nose gear servo wasn't. It will turn left but as soon as i turn right it starts to wig out. Turned the power off, re seated the crystals and reconnected the servo to the rx and still doesn't work. The other problem is when i began to follow the EDF Pre-Maiden Procedures, the fan nose cone came off, luckily i was able to shut it off before it could tear up all the blades or cause any other damage. I haven't even glued the wings on this thing yet and something already broke lol. I read somewhere in this forum of the same thing happening to someone else. can anyone help or explain to me what i did wrong for the fan cone to break off? And i'm not quite sure what else to do about the nose gear problem. All in all, this was my first purchase from nitroplanes, and i can say that the service is excellent, placed my order on 03/18/09, item was processed and shipped on the 19th and received my package today on the 25 with no damage in perfect condition besides the two things i mentioned.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM
opjose

Default RE: Exceed RC F/A 18C Help

Good job taking the time to go over things FIRST!

- Remove the screw from the nose gear control arm and remove the arm.
- See of the servo turns freely this way and if the wheel turns in both directions properly.

I received on of these planes and found that they nose wheel was binding causing the problem.

- The nose cone coming off was fortuitous. Check the fan blade clearances and make sure that there is at least 3MM between the blades and the shrouds.
- This must be true all the way around the shroud. Check each blade for clearance.

To increase clearance fold a bit of medium grit sandpaper on itself, and place it on the side with the least clearance, turn the prop by hand so the edges contact the sand paper, sanding off some plastic evenly on all of the blades.

Multiple turns will be needed to get this right.

Make sure the grub screws are tight, and put a toothpick point's worth of CA on three points around the cone base, then quickly put the cone back into place.

The CA will hold it tight and the small quantity used will still make it removable.

Remember all you want is the small tip of a toothpick's worth. A drop is WAAAY too much and will result in an unremovable cone.

If you cannot resolve the nose stearing servo problem, then post a PM message to John here ( nitrostaff1 ).

To PM him, click on his name on any of his posts on the left.

On the subsequent screen, select the PM balloon, and enter your message.

He does not always check in regularly, so give him a few days to respond.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM
636Stunter

ORIGINAL: opjose

Good job taking the time to go over things FIRST!

- Remove the screw from the nose gear control arm and remove the arm.
- See of the servo turns freely this way and if the wheel turns in both directions properly.

I received on of these planes and found that they nose wheel was binding causing the problem.

- The nose cone coming off was fortuitous. Check the fan blade clearances and make sure that there is at least 3MM between the blades and the shrouds.
- This must be true all the way around the shroud. Check each blade for clearance.

To increase clearance fold a bit of medium grit sandpaper on itself, and place it on the side with the least clearance, turn the prop by hand so the edges contact the sand paper, sanding off some plastic evenly on all of the blades.

Multiple turns will be needed to get this right.

Make sure the grub screws are tight, and put a toothpick point's worth of CA on three points around the cone base, then quickly put the cone back into place.

The CA will hold it tight and the small quantity used will still make it removable.

Remember all you want is the small tip of a toothpick's worth. A drop is WAAAY too much and will result in an unremovable cone.

If you cannot resolve the nose stearing servo problem, then post a PM message to John here ( nitrostaff1 ).

To PM him, click on his name on any of his posts on the left.

On the subsequent screen, select the PM balloon, and enter your message.

He does not always check in regularly, so give him a few days to respond.
Thanks for the info, i will check the servo as soon as i get off of work today, as for the nose cone, its pretty much cracked in half and would definitely need to be replaced . Would it be worth purchasing a new edf unit from somewhere else and any suggestions on where to buy from??
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
opjose

You could get more speed out of the plane with a comparably sized unit, say an HET EDF unit.

I'm tempted to do this with mine.

PM John about the nose cone after you check the servo.

It seems like this is happening with some frequency.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
nitrostaff1

Please see my pm to you.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM
636Stunter

ORIGINAL: nitrostaff1

Please see my pm to you.

John
Nitro Planes
Hey John,

got your pm thanks again for all the help
Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 PM
636Stunter

ORIGINAL: opjose

You could get more speed out of the plane with a comparably sized unit, say an HET EDF unit.

I'm tempted to do this with mine.

PM John about the nose cone after you check the servo.

It seems like this is happening with some frequency.

Its definitely a servo prob but John helped me out just like you said with a replacement. Man that would be crazy fast, imagine this foamy with that edf unit unit and a typhoon 2W-20
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
opjose

Heh, you read my mind.

Yeah I pulled the EDF unit out of a new F-18C plane last night and though about using that particular combo.

The plane I opened yesterday had a 50A ESC with a separate twin cooling plate BEC. Fairly nice.

I removed the fan and assembly, sanded down the blade tips by spinning the fan lightly with a screw driver, against medium grit sandpaper.

I then removed the flashing and balanced the rotor on a magnetic prop balancer.

I found that I had to add many grams of weight or more to one side of the prop.

I did this by using a bit of 5 min epoxy under the blade rotor.

A HET EDF looks to be a drop in replacement.

I replaced the included receiver with a Corona 8 channel synth receiver so that I could use any channel and any of my 72mHz TX's I have available.

I also added a short 3" extension to the nose servo so that I could better position the RX.

Next I have to enlarge the battery compartment for my 3750mAh 14.4v LiPo's which I plan on using.

Hopefully I'll fly it this weekend.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM
G-ROOKIE
My Feedback: (51)

Hello.

Today the same thing has happened to me when i had just finished my Nitro Plane F/A 18 Hornet. While checking the servos and motor, the blades and cone came a loose and broke all the blades while testing the motor. I have only had the plane for a week and today was a good day to finish and test this baby out. Has anyone use a diffrent set of Blades with this plane ?

I will be waiting on Nitro Planes to respond about this problem !!!!!!!