Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Upgrading 4channel Brushed planes

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Upgrading 4channel Brushed planes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
REAPER01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading 4channel Brushed planes

Hey if someone would like to help, I am looking to do a few upgrades on this plane however I am unsure about what would be necessary.
I would like the plane to fly longer than 4 min and I have read that if you upgrade the battery it helps out a lot.

If someone could help me it would be great to show me what products I need, so I don't have an in flight melt down that turns into a flaming fireball of death!

This is the plane I just bought: http://www.nitroplanes.com/gulip5mugrep.html

It is my first plane I know it isn't great, my main reason to upgrade is to get more flight time, and would just like some help with specs and limitations, with LiPO batteries, engines, props, etc?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Upgrading 4channel Brushed planes

There are several ways to go about this.

The SAFEST way is to use a battery of similiar voltage (8.4v) but higher capacity ( say 1000 or 1200mAh ).

This will be the least likely to cause any damage or incurr meltdowns to the plane.

The plane will be heavier and no faster this way BUT you'll get much better flight times.

The next level up would be to use a LiPo battery of slightly lower voltage ( 7.4v 2 cell ), but higher capacity ( 1000 to 1200 mah ).

Of course you'll need a LiPo charger ( ideally a computer controlled balance charger ) as well.

This will likely not cause any problems, but the motor will turn more slowly because of the lower voltage. Ofsetting that is that the batteries are MUCH lighter so performance will remain about the same as with the original battery but you'll get MUCH better flight times.

The next level up would be to use a LiPo battery of slightly higher voltage ( 11.1v ) and higher capacity.

There is a risk of damaging the ESC as the battery is capable of pumping more power into the ESC and prop combo.
Normally when I do something like this I also substitute a new and SMALLER prop to keep the amperage draw down, as to not overheat the ESC.

There is of course a risk in this. However it will completely transform the plane into a much more powerful bird.

To mitigate the risk you could also replace the ESC with a brushed known LiPo compatible ESC. These are not very expensive.

Next level up is to use a LiP battery & new brushed ESC and brushed motor capable of dealing with the LiPo packs.
Risks are lower since you would be purchasing higher capacity parts.

This would increase performance and runtime, but most of us don't bother with this step at all... and head off to the next one.

Next level up is what RC'rs tend to do when "she want's more power captain!"...

That is we replace the batteries, ESC & motor with LiPo's Brushless ESC & Brushless Motor and Prop.
This is the best performing choice.

This again transforms the plane though it may be equal to the increased voltage choice in terms of performance.

As such I've often merely put in a higher voltage LiPo's, into a brushed plane, changed out the prop, and accept the risk.

The cost of one of those RTF's is so cheap that I would not invest the money in an ESC, Brushed motor, etc. combo, that would end up costing far more than the original plane itself.

In a case such as this, if the plane blows up? Well that's my problem not the vendor's.

However if I do things right and I am a bit lucky, I get an excellent flyer for the money spent.

Check the ESC on your plane. Sometimes you'll find a "berg" jumper block on the ESC that adjusts the ESC for LiPo's.

If you have this you are REALLY in luck.

Anyway... replacement LiPo packs and a new brushed LiPo compatible ESC of adecuate capacity, is what I would do.

What capacity? 8-12amps would be more than enough.

But remember you'll have to do your own soldering to make this all work.