Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

2 ESC"S 1 Receiver

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

2 ESC"S 1 Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Easy Flier
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ESC"S 1 Receiver

I'm hooking up 2 Volcano30A ESC's to 1 Reciver and was told to disconnect a red wire from 1 of the ESC's.

Is this correct???
Thanks
JT
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
opjose

Default RE: 2 ESC

Normally the lower amperage ESC's ( such as the 30A's, etc. ) have built in Battery Eliminator Circuits.

The "Bec" provides power to your electronics.

Hooking the BECs from both ESCs to your receiver can potentially harm all of your electronics as the circuitry is not designed for this.

The red wire carries the positive DC voltage from the on board BEC's to your receiver.

So it IS advisable to disconnect the BEC on one of the ESC's.

If you have a lot of servos on your plane ( e.g. more than four ) you may even want to take advantage of the dual BEC's and power some of the servos from the other ESC.

However you'll have to electrically isolate the other BEC and servo's power from the main BEC's power to do this, so a bit of electrical fudging is needed.

If you elect NOT to do this ( remember that analog, non-switching on board BECs using an 11.1v LiPo source can really only power 3-4 servos!!! ), do not CUT the red wire.

Instead stick a pin under the plastic "ear" that holds the pin into the plastic connector.

Lift it up and slide the pin back and out, then tape it up and away.

That way you can merely stick the pin back into the connector and use the ESC as it originally came later.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Easy Flier
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the reply. This is my first electric and not sure of all termanolgy . This is on a P-38 with 2 motors and 4-5 servo's,2200mah25c lipo.
Any other thoughts that might help
Thanks

JT
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
opjose

The Volcano 30A ESC uses a "Linear" or "analog" BEC.

It is rated to 2A so it is about the equivalent of putting in a 2000mAh flight pack.

It should handle your servo load.