Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

My experience with Exceed F4-E and Nitroplanes

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

My experience with Exceed F4-E and Nitroplanes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 AM
removebeforeflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Exceed F4-E and Nitroplanes

I recently purchased the 2.4GHz F-4E Jolly Roger Phantom EDF from Nitroplanes. I was happy with the model when I received it; assembly was easy and the model looked great. When I planned on flying it, the plane functioned with exception of the ESC. After two days of working with Nitroplanes online support, they issued an RGA to return the ESC. The ESC was replaced after they received the defective one back. One complaint I do have about the RGA process is I had to pay for shipping to return the ESC and was never reimbursed. I do not feel it was my fault that I received a defective ESC. I installed the new ESC and the problem was fixed. Finally, I get to fly. I hand launched the jet, it took to the sky quickly. The nose started to dip a bit, so I pulled back on the stick. The jet instantly nosed down and hit the ground. Most of the foam components are a total loss. Afer further investigation, I found the elevator servo was reversed. Pilot error is one thing, but this plane is advertised as a 100% Ready-to-Fly jet. So here I am with a $200 plane that has been reduced to rubble. Checking the nitroplanes website, I figured it is going to cost me at least $100 for replacement parts. Overall I am not happy with the product or the experience.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: My experience with Exceed F4-E and Nitroplanes

How long have you been flying?? The reason I'm asking is,checking ALL control surfaces would be the FIRST thing that an experienced pilot would do. Especially, on a new plane, one that you had problems with BEFORE trying to fly it. However this turns out for you, hang in there,because this IS a great hobby & can be very satisfying!! It is an unfortunate thing that people think that an ARF is almost ready to fly ( they're not), & a RTF, still will have things that need to be done (before flying )! These planes look sooo cool & easy to fly & sometimes ( they are not!!!)the retailers DON'T do a very good job explaining that. These planes look like toys, they are not !! Anything that weighs 3 to 10 lbs. & can fly at 50MPH or much more aren't a toy !!!! From reading your thread, I understand your " experience was not enjoyable, however, I don't understand how you could honestly blame the product. Good luck
Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
opjose

I agree, it is the responsibility, of the pilot to check out any new plane completely, no matter what you may THINK the advertizing claims.

Often newbies assume that because a plane is labeled RTF, that this means it truely is completely ready to fly.

That is NOT the norm for this hobby.

Planes must be trimmed, adjusted, programmed, balanced, range checked, etc.

This is one reason instructors for first time flyers are so highly advocated, to get you through the "instant destruction" phase usually experienced by un-aided novices.

Chalk up your experience to a hard lesson learned ( been there myself! ) and keep at it.

Extract the electronics, etc. and see if you can use the parts for your next plane, but get some help. We all need it at some point.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
nitrostaff1

You should always check your surface controls and throw before you even launch the plane. You have you know which direction of the elevator goes that will take the plane up and down before you even hand launch it.

John
Nitro Planes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
N215PB

i just bought one last week and caught the error.....it's really the manufacture fault to build it that way, no post on web site and a piss poor manual, really piss poor. That said I love the model after 2 flights and have ordered many more EDF jets.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM
opjose

But how do you REALLY feel about the manual?

Yup, the Asian companies don't have a distribution force on this side of the ocean to write a legible manual.

But this is pretty standard fare.

You should see what some ARF's come with... a big sheet of paper... that's it.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Gale155

I've yet to log a minute of rc flight time, although I've got two nitroplanes models almost ready to go (the weather here just won't cooperate). However, I find it incomprehensible that anyone would take to the air without first testing the control surfaces...unbelievable.

As was mentioned, these foamies look like toys to too many people, and of course they are not...they are airplanes. Hell, I'm a CFII with 50-hours of DC-3 time, and I fully expect to crash even after checking for correct control-surface movements.

I agree that the manuals (at least the two I have) on these planes stink, and the manufacturers need to do a better job of communicating to their American customers - including those who think these model aircraft are plug-and-play toys.

If I were going to go into the rc airplane manufacturing business today, I would produce nothing but airliners - both contemporary and classic - and they'd sell by the tens of thousands. The reason I don't, of course, is that I wouldn't want to deal with those who don't understand why down elevator resulted in their planes going down. Here's an example of the types of planes I would produce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-97tIi_jcMA