Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Extra 330 .50

Old 07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 330 .50

Junk!!! I am an experienced flyer, and had a soft bounce landing with it and the gear broke off smashing the left wing to beyond repair, I am disgusted with the quality of this plane, this should not have happened, come on how do you sell such junk.
Very disapointed customer.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM
opjose

Default RE: Extra 330 .50

Not true.

I have this plane.

The gear does bend out on hard landings or if the plane is overloaded but that is by design.

Normally this acts to protect the fuse... and it is extremely rare that this does non-reparable damage.

If you hit the plane hard enough to do this, then the landing was MUCH harder than you thought, or the plane exerted too much leverage on the gear.

I've beaten this plane up pretty badly and it has survived well.

Wire gear planes will bend the gear back, while aluminum or CF planes tend to rip the gear out, when you say, transition from pavement to grass, with the wrong size tires for the terrain, but that is more of a lack of understanding of the forces involved by the pilot.

You can take the plane and stand it on it's tail, and let it fall on the forward gear, and it will NOT do what you describe.... if you did not add too much additional weight in the build, though many planes from different manufactures will.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
bonebreak

I agree with the origanal poster. I too had this plane, and didn't like it at all. Kiss it good-bye if you deadstick, the elevator is too sensitive, the plane is way to heavy to be called a 40 size, and way too much extra money has to be spent to get it close to being "air worthy", and it would tip stall if you looked at it funny. I have heard that the other Extra's that Nitroplanes sells are top notch. I just think the ball was dropped with the design of this one. I have since bought another aerobat, and it doesn't have ANY of these bad habits.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:38 PM
opjose

The C.G. provided in the manual is too far back IMHO, which will make it too sensitive. Couple the rearward C.G. with a bit of extra loading and yeah it tip stalls, but so do other aerobatic planes with straight wings under the same circumstance.

Drop the loading and move the C.G. forward and this goes away.

I went through all of this too with mine.

However the gear is not problematic nor is the plane. And you do NOT have to spend a lot of "extra money" to make it airworthy. I'm flying mine ( two seasons close to 120 flights now ) with the included hardware EXCEPT for the tail wheel, and the addition of fuselage tube feed throughs... I didn't have to do either, these were merely my preference.

I also put in a anti-shock mount for the engine as well.

There's a rather long thread here that goes into this plane. It is ill suited for someone who does not have a lot of ARF experience though.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 AM
bonebreak

The long thread you mention says the same thing. Most think this plane is good the first time it is flown. Soon though, the plane tip stalls, and in to the ground it goes. Mine went in on a dead stick, and the gear I had in it wasnt worth me rebuilding, and hoping it didn't happen again. I did have the CG forward, even though it was a HUGE chore, and still didn't care for the performance. I think you may be the exception. Most everyone who has posted about this plane doesn't like it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.