Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
reptile82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help?

I just bought a exceed-rc piper cub. It was said to be a good beginner plane. Took it out today to fly. Wind was light. Did everything as instructed. Three attempts and the plane kept nose diving. Nose broke off. I am very pissed. I might as well have taken the money and threw it into a fire. This thing refuses to fly and is nose heavy. Anyway, Does anyone have any suggestions or help. Otherwise Ill just accept it as a big Fin mistake and leave this hobby alone.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM
opjose

Default RE: Any help?

Reptile82:

One of the reasons newbies are admonished over and over again to obtain help, is that flying RC planes is not intuitive.

What are called Almost Ready to Fly Planes need a LOT of work.

What are called 100% ready to fly planes need trimming and a GOOD going over by an experienced flyer.

We often tell novices, that unless they seek help, the lifetime of their planes is measured in SECONDS.

Unfortunately you fell into this.

The Exceed Piper is a relatively docile flyer ( see RCPower's web site www.********.com for a review ) that can be handled by a beginner with some help.

The Piper you have can probably be easily repaired, but it will also need to be checked out.

It sounds like it was out of trim.

Don't give up. Have a look at ********.com web site and check out his suggested beginners planes. Watch the video... and if possible find a club and attend a session or two. Often clubs will train you for free and let you use their trainer planes!

Doing this will result in a pleasant experience and will guarantee that your next plane will last much longer.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give up did you balance the plane before you tried to fly it? Sounds very nose heavy. And it always better to have someone to help you when you are flying (A) a new plane (B )just learning to fly. Do you have a local club around you? If you don't know you can go to the AMA web site and find one that is by you and I am sure any one there will help you. Don't give up you will love the hobby it only takes one flight.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:45 AM
phillipmorris

These types tend to be abit under powered, we had bad issues with a parkzone model, believe it ended with part problems, then tried a newbies Exceed Cub, didn't expect much and first day way too windy made a bunnie hop and decided to adjust more on the COG Center Of Gravity, moved it towards the front, usually want about 27 percent or around 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge, turned out to be just behind the start of the lettering near the front edge, next day with better trim and winds down this puppie not only flew but made very decent altitude, even the new flyer had some brief stick time, turned on him and took the controls, it flew very well for us, and I was acutally suprised on how well it handled....so proper trims, and correct COG do make a big difference, seasoned pilot is your best option, these are a bargain basement flyer now $69 complete from Nitroplanes, even ordered one for a knock about, these aren't the best planes but certainly low investment and yes, do fly nicely even stock, many eventually upgrade the motor..your option, I liked it !! Expected it to be zoomy as a small flyer, but it had a decent speed for the newcomer...BEST ....

Another secret on getting this one to fly is let it gain airspeed, keep the wings and nose level as it goes out, when reaching some altitude make the easy turn, I personally elected with slightest up elevator trim, just a tadd, don't over due it, made nice altitude with these settings ....on the turns slight up elevator, again careful as can nose up to a stall for the newbie, gentle on the stick, its a winner !

Lots of videos on this one, many even accomplished pilots turn abit too soon on the release and it noses up and or goes down to the turf, so let it fly out..it will take off from the pavement but I prefer the hand launch for this paticular model, so if your a newbie have someone else toss it straight out, not up or down, and into the breeze, give you more time on the controls....

Last a cute video, actually an accomplished heli pilot, he learns very quickly how to fly the Exceed Cub, but only after a few failures, very typical and entertaining:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvm4I...eature=related
Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
opjose

That video illustrates why IMHO Cub's are not great trainers.

Cubs are VERY slow flyers.

A real cub takes off at a walking pace, and doesn't seem to have enough power to get airborne.

That RC Cub has more than enough power, for an experienced flyer.

In a newbie's hands however it is problematic.

- The plane is NOT trimmed out.
- The pilot doesn't know how to fly let alone deal with an out of trim plane!
- C.G.'s may be off especially at first.
- As noted in the video, they did not leave enough space for takeoff ( although that IS enough once it is trimmed and set up properly).
- A Cub has little no self righting capacity.

Here you have an experienced Heli Pilot ( who tend to have great spacial orientation capabilities ) struggling with his first plane, AND the nuances of a CUB.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
phillipmorris

Actually most of the comments are right on the money and excellent advice, Please have a seasoned pilot for your maiden flights, even the best trainer doesn't fly by itself, newbies over-control, after all its their first attempts.....

Only thing I can add is I've flown this one, again to me is abit under-powered, even a seasoned pilot might try to turn it too soon before it reaches airspeed...and the tendency to climb right away is a huge mistake on this one, just go level with the nose and wings before going for altitude or any turning, after it reaches enough speed, and be patient here, it flys very well, even noted some stability, with proper trim it does righten itself, but its not as solid as example the famed Super Cub....however I enjoyed its easy handling once inflight, it doesn't zoom as I expected with such a small flyer, very docile....

Actually my first success with these newer powered battery planes, was indeed a Cub, Super Cub, even went into night flying later on, I still love it, ....

And even a seasoned pilot may have issues, here it is, but very well done....
Note he updated it to a brushless motor, still needs airspeed to fly, as he discovered after 2 failures..I love this one...

Found this video even more entertaining, 3D Pilot, yep has issues on the maiden flights, later catches onto the handling....
Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtSa...eature=related
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 AM
phillipmorris

Update:

We have two of these Exceed Cubs flying now, they indeed have a low angle take off and required to fly them out aways before daring to make any inputs, takes awhile for this one to reach airspeed, but its docile once inflight...

My newbie flyer we decked in until realizing the required long low flight out, you don't dare nose it up or turn right away or your doomed...

Battery cycling is important, on first charge run the battery down with the motor on then re-charge, it will take the full 3 hour period with the stock charger but careful and monitor the battery, it will get nice and warm but unplug before it gets hot...

Advantage with an experienced rc pilot is things will be correctly trimmed, found both were tail heavy out of the box required some nose weight, the balance is around 1 3/4 inches from the leading edge, don't go too nose heavy here, it needs all the help it can get on the launch, but not too far back to lose control...

Nearing over dozen flights and I like this for just $69 complete, hard to beat..at first it had issues on the take off, but inflight its a cutie...

Launch is critical with this one, I strongly suggest hand launch, tho I did pull off one pavement take off, on the launch throw it abit firm but straight out level, no nosing up here please or down she comes, is simply a straight throw, later after mastered, a fine tuned hand launch you push off slightly underneath but everything kept level, again absolutely no nosing up, it increases the altitude at or just above head high improving the required distance needed for reaching airspeed, wait till its quite aways out before inputs, and your flying !!

BEST .....