Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

I spent the weekend flying this plane along with my CMPro Marathon....

This plane is a wonderful flyer and I'm quite pleased with it's performance and characteristics.

I did add a bit more upthrust ( 3 washers ).

I saw one post where someone complained about the "plastic" landing gear, after they cracked it.

Well I was flying in VERY windy weather, and hit the gear HARD onto asphalt without any cracks or problems.

I can safely say that anything which would crack the gear would also do extensive damage on other planes.

Pictures below

Plane ready to fly:

Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
opjose

I'm really enjoying this plane.

Many people have been impressed with how it flies and handles.

Without the battery pack, it is a very light but strong plane.

Even with the large 5000mAh 14.8v packs I'm using, the plane still seems light.

I ended up with four washers on the lower left post, three on the lower right, and no washers on either of the upper posts.

This gives it a slight right thrust, and the perfect amount of up thrust.

On my initial flights the nose would pull down, when throttle was applied,
The four washers cured this completely.

I also changed out the included wheels for 2.5" Dubro wheels instead.

These are larger and may allow for grass landings and takeoffs from smoother grass fields ( normally 3" is the minimum on our bumpy grass strip, so to date I've been flying the plane off and onto our Asphalt runway ).

The Dubro wheels fit perfectly w/o any wheel pant modifications.

I used a plastic retaining ring instead of a wheel collar to hold the wheels on. I affixed this with a bit of loctite.
With the Dubro wheels, and with two washers on the inside of the shaft to keep the wheel centered, I did not have enough remaining shaft space for the provided wheel collars... so I needed another mechanism.

For anyone else contempalting this, you could also grind a small groove with a cut-off wheel, towards the tip of the axle, then just use a snap-ring to hold the wheel in place.

Hint: If you have a drill press, put the axle on the drill press, then with the drill press running, bring the cut-off wheel against the spinning shaft for a perfectly straight circular groove.

The gear have held up very well to high wind landing abuse.

I managed to crack one of the pants, on a very hard ding that would have shattered fiberglass wheel pants.

To fix I removed the wheel pant, applied epoxy on the inside area, make sure a bit seeped into the cracked joint, then applied a bit of fiberglass cloth, and more epoxy.

A bit of Testors Acrylic RED paint made the seem disappear altogether, and the wheel pant is stronger than before.

The same rough landings also caused a tiny bit of wing rash on the outer edge ( almost invisible ) so I also installed a pair of wing tip guards.

The latter is something I tend to do with all of my planes, and I highly recommend it.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Coronado

Gentelmen could anyone confirm a better choice of motors for this aircraft.

http://www.reaperbrushless.com/html/motors.html

looking at the reaper brushless GR-35 on that one

or

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo327brmo.html

the power 32

im looking for excess thrust

thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
opjose

"Excess" power is determined by the watts/lb ratio.

In turn the wattage and current consumption is determined by the size of the prop you are spinning and it's pitch.

All the motor, ESC and battery have to do, is keep up with the demand.

150watts per lb or more is considered extreme 3d power.

Given 6.6lbs that works out to about 900-990 watts total.

I fly my plane with a 900 watt system and it goes straight up as long as I let it at 1/3-1/2 throttle.

I'm not consuming 900 watts at WOT either! It is around 780 or so instead.

I could increase the power consumption and get even more power by opting for a bigger diameter prop.

However I'm so please with how it flies now, that I'm using a 12" prop to keep my demands low, to get a LOT of flight time ( 15+ minutes without a worry! ).

The Monster power 32 is rated at a burst current of 55A x 14.8v = 820 watts or so.
So it is a very good motor to use, but certainly NOT the highest thrust you can go with....

The GR35 says "nominal power = 35A" and they suggest a 40A ESC so

40A x 14.8v = 592 watts

So the GR35 would not sustain the same draw as the Monster Power .32

I find that the Monster power motors will sustain higher burst current than what the advertising says...

If you want more power than the Monster .32, get the .46 instead ( which is the equivalent to what I have ).

The web site specs are not quite right, as the .46 handles 60A easily if properly ventilated, as it would be in this plane.

That puts the Monster .46 in the 900 watt range which I think is ideal.

Fly that with a 13x6e or 13x8e prop or larger and you'll have a very powerful combination.

Remember that it will be VERY important that your batteries keep up with the demand.

I run a single 5000mAh 14.8v 20C LiPo pack on my plane, and I've been quite happy with this.

My battery packs are only used to about 10-12C so they remain cool and will last much longer this way.

e.g. 20c = 100A on these packs.

Edit:

I noticed that my plane came out around 5lbs AUW, so yes the Monster .32 will do fine as you'll be well over the 150watts/lb mark with that motor.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Coronado

Thank you for your help. I get my plane tomorrow. Ill go with the monster 46. What 3 cell 11.1v pack would be equal to what your running. Also can you recommend a Esc as well?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
opjose

You are NOT going to be able to get that kind of power out of 11.1v.

This plane is far too big for 11.1v packs.

A 3lb plane is about the limit for that....

The minimum voltage will be 14.8v.

You could opt for a lower KV rating on a motor and wire up your 11.1v packs in series to get 22.2v out of them. But this will require flying with at least two packs and each should be of 2850mAh or better.

Re: ESC

You need to establish what the power demands will be first.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Coronado

Just to confirm this is the airplane were talking about.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/extra330l-3d-plane.html

Is this a ok pack to use?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...Pack&aff=69244

esc?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...source=froogle

Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
opjose

That's the plane we are talking about.

I'm also using those same battery packs.

However that Castle ESC has a fairly heafty price tag.

Why not just use one of these instead: [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7341&Product_Name=Hobbyking_SS_Series_90-100A_ESC]Click me![/link]

However you'll also need to wire up your own EXTERNAL BEC, as that ESC does not have it's own...

Most high power ESC's do not come with their own BEC's.

If you look at the photos on the first page of this thread, you'll see the picture of my plane where the inexpensive 9.00 BEC is visible.

I used the ESC indicated above, which is mounted below the motor.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Coronado

I noticed you were using this motor below...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7393

how would that compare versus the power 46 motor with the esc, and battery setup we were talking about...

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo466brmo.html

Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
opjose

There are two almost identical versions of that motor at HC/HK...

I have the 900 watt version.

The Monster Power .46 is pretty evenly matched with the 900w Turnigy in terms of power handling.

( Edit, maybe not... I blew out the Turnigy with a 13x8E prop... see later posts... )

The Turnigy has a slightly higher KV rating.

With the Monster Power you'd want to use a one point higher pitch prop to make the two equal.

NORMALLY ( but not always ) when you have two very similiar motors, but one has a lower KV rating, the lower KV rating motor often can handle more overall power draw, at the expense of RPM's.... a very loose analogy is to think of gears. The lower gear can pull more.

Increasing the pitch slightly offsets the RPM difference... so if you used the Turnigy with a 13x6e prop, it would be almost identical to the Monster Power .46 with a 13x7e prop.

Remember though that I'm not running my plane at a full 900 watts. Even 700watts or more turns this plane into a rocket.

I've propped my plane down to 12x7e ( less thrust a bit more pitch speed ) and I'm happy with it that way.

Given that I fly other planes ( such as my Diamante ) with the SAME prop, but with a Monster power .25 ( that's right a .25 ) w/o problems, the Monster Power .32 may be a sweet spot for this plane using that 12x7e prop.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Coronado

is there a post about your Ultimate 120 - 55" Nitro Gas Radio Remote Controlled ARF BiPe Airplane? Thats the next moldel I want, and would like to go electric...

beautiful models
Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 PM
opjose

That's a pretty big plane to go electric.

It's doable, but you'll need the equivalent of a 1.20 4C engine to do it or a .75+ 2 stroker.

Given 2.4hp or better...

745 watts per HP x 2.4 HP = 1790 watts

Assuming 22v

1790 w / 22 v = 81 Amps

So you would need a motor capable of 1790 watts @ 22v and a battery pack capable of about 100A or better.

You can use multiple packs to get there, but at this level I'd just go with a small gasoline engine instead.

You could also use two 14.8v packs @ 29.6volts and 60A total draw to get the same, which would dovetail with the packs used on the Extra.

But you'll also need a high voltage (HV) ESC, separate BEC, etc.

Your biggest problem will be changing out the battery packs.

There are no provisions for this in the Ultimate 1.20 and there is no easy way to cut out a battery hatch, especially since you must leave the fuselage structurally sound to support the carbanes.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Coronado

Could anyone recommend where to buy some batteries online for my extra im building. I decided to go with the monster power 32, and the Hobbyking SS Series 90-100A ESC and wireing my own external BEC. I was thinking doing a 4000mah pack for this setup? Or should I stick with the 5000mah.

thanks guys...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Coronado

well also there is a chance i may switch to the monster power 46.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
opjose

What is wrong with the packs you talked about earlier?

They will work fine for the Monster .32 or Monster .46 motors.

I'd go with those 5000mAh packs.

Later you can use two of these in series to power a .90-1.20 size plane with a bigger motor.

The Extra 300 EP loves those packs IMHO. The C.G. was spot on with them.

Check my layout in the pictures.

BTW: Don't forget you'll need to order connectors!

I'd order a package ( 12 pairs+ ) of those bayonet style bullet connectors the batteries use.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Coronado

those batteries are out of stock at hobby city.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
opjose

Look here: [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8584]Click me![/link]
Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Coronado

Can you or anyone recommend any packs from either Nitro Planes, Horizon hobby, Tower Hobbies, Bananna Hobby,3d Hobby? I wanted a secondary option just in case. The price is good though for Hobby city. Hope this isn't to much work.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Coronado

Ive just never used hobby city
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Coronado

Oh my gravy Gentelman !!!!!

Ordered all my gear from Hobby King 4 days ago! Still hasn't shipped, no tracking number, still says processing, and I can't get a hold of anyone there. Should I cancel and find somewhere else to get my stuff, can I cancel? Paid $36.79 for shipping to get it sooner.

Frustrating because I have the flying dream Extra all done basically and just waiting to mount the motor, and wire up everything.

Just don't know what to do, just staring at the plane everyday excited to fly it but cant do anything about it.....

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
dditch

I finally got a review done of my [link=http://www.bit.ly/bRd3gH]Flying Dream 330L EP[/link] even though my flying video footage is limited.
I'm using a bigger motor than what is really needed. As mentioned much earlier, I chose the Monster power 60 motor cause I had 6S batteries for my 500 helicopter.
I'll use either a 6S 2650 or 3000mAh [link=http://www.mycoolheli.com/reviews/ReviewBlueLipo.html]Blue Lipo[/link] packs which weigh about 450-480g each. That's about the same wattage output of a 4S 5000 pack.
I will agree that a 46 motor is a better choice. But I did not have any 4S or 5S batteries. I use nothing but 3S and 6S packs in my various helicopters and wanted to be able to use those packs. My motor is oversized, but propped for about 800W of power. I have more than enough power for my needs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1fzSGgMJE[/youtube]

Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
opjose

Nice.

You are certainly not taxing that motor. I'll bet it doesn't even get warm after repeated 3D flights with little to no intervening time.

Mine does not get hot, but it does warm up, so I tend to wait 5 minutes between flights...

Your packs will in effect equal mine in weight.

The only minor drawback is that your motor weights more than it needs to for that wattage output.

However once you take the batteries out of this plane, it feels VERY light, and I'll bet you'll not notice the extra couple of ounces.

This is a pretty sweet flying plane isn't it?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
dditch

Yes, I have a slight weight penalty, But I think the motor is running more efficient cause of it.

I can't recall, but I think I put too much throws in my elevator and aileron.
When you get the chance Opjose, can you tell me how much difflection you have max in your ailerons and elevator?
I need to reduce mine mechanically before I fly it again.

I like the bright red and graphics in the air, it looks cool.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Coronado

Anyone noticing if there Flying Dream is coming out tail heavy? My model came out just over 5lbs and with my 5s 5000mah battery up there 6lbs fying weight. My model was still a little tail heavy. I thought it was within limits and took off and it was severly squirly to much to handle. Not sure if I had to much control service throws or was to tail heavy. But the model is done. Going to order another one...
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
opjose

I'm using a 4S 5000mAh pack, and no I did not find it tail heavy.

Aerobatic planes typically have fairly neutral C.G.'s which will feel a bit twitchy to someone used to more forward C.G.'s.

This makes the knifeedge, and axial roll well, but increases tail sensitivity.

I maxed out my throws, but I have at 50% expo on both high and low rates for this plane.

My servo travel is set so that on low rates it is at 50% versus 125% on high rates.

So on low rates my elevator moves up fairly little compared to my high rate elevator setting.

BTW: I though you were using the same motor I pictured in mine?

If so you should be using 4S packs as the 5S may destroy the motor due to heat, especially with a 13" prop.

You'll need to step down to 11x5E or 11x6E with a 5S pack and that motor, at the least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.