Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

50cc Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Paul_Barsamian
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Ultimate

I'm close to making the jump to gas, has anyone run the 50cc Ultimate with a DLE 55? Where did you come out AUW-wise and how did it balance? I did a search and read a few sporadic posts here and on giant scale forums but there wasn't a TON of information. Would love to see a flight video of someone really wringing this plane out, any pointers?

I'm looking at this Ultimate on a DLE 55 with a smoke ready pitts muffler, smoke system, and running on all digital Hitecs and hoping for a good 3D and sport/IMAC machine out of it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
opjose

Default RE: 50cc Ultimate

I have not used that engine in this plane.

However I think you may want to approach it a bit differently.

First choose the plane that you want to get, and see if the power plant you are thinking of is in the right weight range.

With larger planes small differences in weight are really not going to matter much.

Don't obsess about where the C.G. is going to come out, as this is something - YOU - determine.

Instead worry about how much total weight you will be adding to the plane with things like a smoke system, etc.

It sounds like the DLE-55 would be a great match for this plane.

With most Gassers I want - BIG - Ignition packs and a large separate electronics battery pack. Both of these add a good bit of weight, but it is your choice as to how you want to handle this.

You can then move your packs and electronics around to put the C.G. at the desired location.

The DLE is not an overly heavy engine, so in all likelyhood you'll end up with the packs forward.

The plane itself is beautifully constructed, but you are ALWAYS advised to go over things carefully.

Typically I apply epoxy on the joint seems of most of my larger planes to strengthen things.

I wick CA in to any surface that will hold a screw, or bolt, etc. to further harden it.

I ALWAYS re-inforce the gear area as much as possible, though I do NOT obsess about having strong gear.

Aluminum gear tends to splay out on harder landings, effectively protecting the fuselage and wings from greater damage... and this can be a good thing!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Paul_Barsamian

Sorry I didn't add enough clarity. I have an idea of what I want to do with the electronics, and given my longevity in this hobby, I always look at the items that will last and buy those first (airframes wear out, engines last a long time, for me usually through 6,7,8....N number of airframes). I want to go 50cc gas because of the popularity of the size and variety of choices in airframes.

I believe I'm still (based on reading other posts from folks and the little information I could find) going to end up a bit light on the nose which is why I was thinking smoke pump but I'll delay judgement on that until I have stuff sitting assembled....

That said, I'm also trying to find some comparisons and even a video (outside of the basic circle flying and rolls I saw on youtube).

The plane looks like it's constructed well but would like to get some actual owner reports after owning for more than a couple of days.

Anyone?

Jose, thanks for the input so far....
Old 10-15-2009, 12:09 PM
opjose

Heh; l I've owned my planes for more than a couple of days.

Some observations.

Asian covering seems to have problems with Glow Fuel, so it is famous for debonding when exposed to it ( a reason I tend to apply top-flite clear coat spray on my planes ). Gasoline seems to be far less problematic on the covering and so it has held up pretty well.

Ply construction is used extensively, not that anything is wrong with that.

With a lighter engine, you will be forced to move your packs forward.

The steep rake of the cowl almost mandates an inverted mount with a Pitts style muffler. Most of the cylinder head then sticks out the bottom.

You may be advised to come up with your own mechanism for attaching and releasing the wings quickly. The included hardware uses standard metric nuts and bolts, which can be tedious with any BiPlane.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Paul_Barsamian

Fair enough Jose.

Metric hardware not a problem, I fly helis. 'nuff said there...

Where did yours end up AUW? What engine? How is the vertical performance?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
opjose

I don't recall the AUW, but I did not put in a smoke pump.

I used a ZDZ 50CC and the plane has GOBS of excess power.

I fly it around at UNDER 40% throttle, and it will hover around 50-55%.

Blipping the throttle up pulls it out quickly.