Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

AirField 70MM Brushless F-16 Electric Ducted Fan

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

AirField 70MM Brushless F-16 Electric Ducted Fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 PM
sdavis9990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AirField 70MM Brushless F-16 Electric Ducted Fan

Heat issues could be caused by a binding rotor also!!!    Find the high spots and sand them out.

SD
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
sdavis9990

Slight correction to the balance procedure: Place the drill bit between the two magnets on the vice jaws. Open the vice until the point of the drill bit will stay on that magnet. Now close the vice slowly until the drill bit jumps to the magnet on the base of the drill bit. Then open the vice just enough to keep the drill bit on the point end. This creates the least drag on the tip and allows for a pretty good balance. Don't forget to slip the rotor 90 deg on the drill bit a few times to confirm the heavy blade.

SD
Old 03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
hairlesshippy
My Feedback: (1)

Hi there..

Whats the CG supposed to be on the f-16? 

I thought I was reading that it should be at the front of the wing at the leading edge.  basically as far forward as you can get on the wing

Mine seems to be a little further back from that leading edge and I was wondering if I needed to add weight to the front.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
sdavis9990

No Sir! Per the directions I received, set the CG @ 90MM back from the point where the wing meets the jet body. Measure back on both sides and put a mark. The jet should balance here slightly nose down. Mine flys great at this location. Add weight to the tail as necessary to get it to balance at 90MM back.

sd
Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
hairlesshippy
My Feedback: (1)

I dont know where I got the leading edge from.\

Thanks for clarifying..

Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM
N215PB

Say, you couldn't make a drawing on that magnet drill deal could yeah............i'm kinda lost on it.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
sdavis9990

Ok, see photos below.

Hope these explain more!

Here is my F18 Art Tech

Airfield 70MM F16

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 AM
N215PB

God Bless you brother.....pictures are worth a thousand words! I shal now be on a balancing quest.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM
sdavis9990

Did the balance fix your problem? Wow it got quite here!!!

Scott
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 AM
blkz2801

Im torn about getting this jet. Im in the military stationed at Aviano AB were there are 2 squadrons of f-16's. The 510th and the 555 (Triple Nickel) I want to make the plane look like one of those squadrons planes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
sdavis9990

Blitz,
Go for it!! They are really good flying planes. I just got home from flying mine today. Just order a descent radio as the one's that come with the kits are CRA#@$#$!!!

By the way, I am Retired Coast Guard 20 years active duty. Thanks for your Service!!!!! You may not realize it now, but your military years will be something that you miss later on.

Regards,

Scott Davis, GMC E-7 USCG Ret.
Concord, NC

Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
sdavis9990

P.S.
Can you send us some photos? I would like to paint mine as well to match.

sd
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM
blkz2801

Davis, you got it sir. I have a friend that works on the ejection seats and i can get really close. Ill try that tomorrow
Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Al T

This has been a very helpful thread. I flew my EDF yesterday for the first time and landed it without incident. That would not have been the case if I didn't heed some of the information presented here.
In January I happened to be passing through LA during the AMA convention. Stopped in and browsed and got intrigued by the EDF's and how inexpensive they were. Talked to people at the Nitro booth, I was looking at the F-18 and F-16 but they suggested as a first timer (to EDF's) to go with the F4. What they said seemd reasonable. Finally had time to look at the plane and put it together a week ago. Decided on making a few minor changes. Took out the radio and went 2.4. Didn't like the way the engine spooled up etc. Starting searching some sites and was glad. Read some people had issues and then the horror stories of items going poof! Then I found this one. Wish I had read it before gluing on the plastic cone. I can see how a little glassing would help it from getting dented. Read the post about blades rubbing on the housing and to ensure adequate clearance along with balancing. Opened up the fan and sure enough there was rubbing marks on the tube. Good info on the throw rates. Adjusted the servo's and did some cycling and that's when I noted one servo was not always going full throw, so it was overhauled. Did some test readings on amp and watt draws on the fan..... 27 amps at 313 watts.... hope that's about right (but funny that you have a 50 amp ESC). Took it to our flying field, which is low cut grass, opened her up and she was off. I did notice that it is pitch sensitive and in turns it would nose up. Now is that an issue with CG (150 mm back from leading edge) being too far back or an issue with the inverted tail on this plane or just a quirk with EDF's? Not much reserve power for climbs so loops are egg shaped and I noticed on reverse cuban 8's it would pitch up and almost stall. I changed out the y-harness to the ailerons thinking to run aileron differential (reduce adverse yaw) and flaperons. Anyone try this and was it successful? I am wondering if adding rudder control would make it a better flier as it's tracking is a little inconsistent and keeping the plane headed straight down teh runway for landings hairy.
The flight video's and comparisons by Flyboytha1 (f4 and f16) increased the confidence that the first flight would not be a rekitting process [/img]. Tthe F4 is stable at mid speed, gets pitchy at full speed and tends to wallow at low speed. In landing you definitely notice and need to prepare for the balloning as the wings enter ground effect.

Al T
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
sdavis9990

I am thinking of selling both jets pictured above. What would be a good used price. I also have a new Airfield F16 airframe in the box, just for backup. Any takers, shoot me an email [email protected]