Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

installing the engines on new brushless A-10

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

installing the engines on new brushless A-10

Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 PM
drhlau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing the engines on new brushless A-10

Just recieved the brushless A-10, the new version that no longer includes the charger...

There are 3 white wires that come out of each ESC, marked A, B, C. There are no instructions on what color wire from the motor goes to what letter.... (ie black to "A", etc)

Help...someone.....

Thanks in advance.

HKL

Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: installing the engines on new brushless A-10

It does not mater how you hook them up. Just make sute that the fan is going the right way and if is no pushing the air then just chage one wire around on the motor and it will make it go the right way. So just plug them in any way you want and run it up and see it the motor are going the right way and then you are good to go!!! You can hook them just by the color and then see witch way the motors are going and like I said if one is going the wrong way just change one wire and bada bing.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 AM
drhlau

Thanks giddyuperic,

Will give it a try.  Wish the instructions would say that.....

Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
opjose

Forgetting the instruction quality...

The three wire hookup is pretty standard RC fare.

Is this your first RC plane?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM
drhlau

2nd one.  My first one was all hooked up and assembled (got it used from a friend). 

-HKL-
Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
opjose

So you've flown it before?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
drhlau

Yes.  It was an Easy Star.  A little beat up but very  flyable.   I know there is a big difference between the 2 aircraft.   

-HKL-
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
opjose

I'm confusied.

You said it was an "Easy Star" which is a rudder & elevator only self righting powered glider.

Have you flown the A-10 before?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Gale155

ORIGINAL: opjose

I'm confusied.

You said it was an "Easy Star" which is a rudder & elevator only self righting powered glider.

Have you flown the A-10 before?

He's the guy in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9579332/tm.htm ...4,000 hours in the big A-10, some rc simulator time, and whatever time with the Easy Star. Like me, he either can't or won't seek the help of an instructor, and realizes that he may crash and burn as a result.

BTW, I just finished my third flight with my co-axial heli, and you were right...it's a humbling experience. Although I've got a few hours in a full-sized turbine, I crashed on the first flight. But, I've finally managed to reach an altitude of 6-feet or so, and have ventured to a radius of perhaps 30-feet. Fun stuff, for sure.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
drhlau

Yeah...sort of....not the model but the real one A-10. About 4K total hours.    I'm currently doing what is called a "Staff Tour" which every aviator has to do at some point in their career
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
opjose

Ok, got it...

It is not easy to guage experience levels via a forum.

Doing so helps me to understand where the poster is coming from on the questions...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Gale155

ORIGINAL: drhlau

Yeah...sort of....not the model but the real one A-10. About 4K total hours. I'm currently doing what is called a "Staff Tour" which every aviator has to do at some point in their career
One thing I've learned from rc people, sir, is that you should avoid referring to full-sized aircraft as "real". You see, these model aircraft are just as "real", only on a smaller scale. A couple of friends of mine who are big into the high-dollar rc's get real testy on this point. And, if you think about it, absolutely they're right. This is why I referred to your experience as being in the "big" A-10's.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM
drhlau

Gale155,

I apologize for the breech of etiquette there.  

Took the A-10 out for a short flight, was actually more than a little nervous.  Flew 1 track, missed the approach (descending  too quickly).  Came around again, missed the approach again (started my turn too early).  Finally  got  it the 3rd time, came down just a  little hot but no damage.

I guess laws of physics are the same.  Banking the wing in a turn causes the nose to drop on both the model and big Hoggive it a little pull back on the stick  and a little power.

I have to admit the biggest thing I had problems with was which way to roll to get wings level when the aircraft is coming at you (wrecked at least  $2000 worth on the simulator).  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
opjose

I have to admit the biggest thing I had problems with was which way to roll to get wings level when the aircraft is coming at you.

Bare in mind that, hearing that makes RC "Pilots" feel REALLY good about themselves!

Gale155: We have many members with 6-18K+ jets in our club. We don't permit them to get so testy, lest we all call their planes "merely expensive toys".

Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Gale155

Gale155,

I apologize for the breech of etiquette there.

Took the A-10 out for a short flight, was actually more than a little nervous. Flew 1 track, missed the approach (descending too quickly). Came around again, missed the approach again (started my turn too early). Finally got it the 3rd time, came down just a little hot but no damage.

I guess laws of physics are the same. Banking the wing in a turn causes the nose to drop on both the model and big Hoggive it a little pull back on the stick and a little power.

I have to admit the biggest thing I had problems with was which way to roll to get wings level when the aircraft is coming at you (wrecked at least $2000 worth on the simulator).
Someone gave me a piece of advice that might come in handy - when the plane's coming at you, move the stick towards the wing you want to raise. I decided that the phrase "stickup" would help me to remember this.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Gale155

ORIGINAL: opjose

I have to admit the biggest thing I had problems with was which way to roll to get wings level when the aircraft is coming at you.

Bare in mind that, hearing that makes RC "Pilots" feel REALLY good about themselves!

Gale155: We have many members with 6-18K+ jets in our club. We don't permit them to get so testy, lest we all call their planes "merely expensive toys".

I don't know anyone with that much invested in their planes...maybe $3K at most. However, I really hate to think what would happen if someone were to refer to their aircraft as "toys".

Old 04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Gale155

I don't know anyone with that much invested in their planes...maybe $3K at most. However, I really hate to think what would happen if someone were to refer to their aircraft as ''toys''. [img][/img]
We purposely refer to them as "toys" so their heads don't get too big...

"Real plane" is reserved for full scales...

If they can't take this, look for friction between the small plane and large scale plane club members...

We see this happen uppon occasion and everyone attempts to quash it.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
drhlau

Thanks for the tip Gale155!

Tried it out on the simulator, works great.  I will certainly pass this tip on.  Until then, I had to really think about which way to roll out of a turn.

Opjose, I read your post too on breaking in the fans and calibrating the ESC's.  Thanks for the insight! 

Turns out my new hobby has turned up quite a stir at work, there are plenty of us doing our Staff Tours that hate the desk and are itching to fly.  The guy I traded my Easy Star is looking to get another airplane. 

HL
Old 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Gale155

Thanks for the tip Gale155!

Tried it out on the simulator, works great. I will certainly pass this tip on. Until then, I had to really think about which way to roll out of a turn.

Opjose, I read your post too on breaking in the fans and calibrating the ESC's. Thanks for the insight!

Turns out my new hobby has turned up quite a stir at work, there are plenty of us doing our Staff Tours that hate the desk and are itching to fly. The guy I traded my Easy Star is looking to get another airplane.

HL
Well, I want to thank you for your tip, as well. I've been hesitant on the simulator thing for some reason (laziness, I guess), but after reading your comment about crashing what would have been $2,000-worth of real models on your simulator, I bit the bullet and ordered one. I don't know if it's any good or not, but I ordered the 6-channel sim for airplanes and helicopters from Nitroplanes, along with an anti-crash kit for helicopters.

For some reason, I'm really getting interested in rc choppers, and have several hours now on a co-axial: http://www.nitroplanes.com/dyvo3704chco.html . True to Opjose's predection, I crashed within the first 20-seconds on the maiden, but suffered only minor damage to the fuselage and a thingy that connects to the fly-bar. I've managed several flights since (all outdoors) without crashing, but it was always a great deal of work. Only recently did I learn that co-axials should never be flown outdoors except in dead-calm wind, which explains the trouble I've had staying aloft. I logged a couple of hours in an OH-6 many years ago, but other than that I've never had much interest (or faith) in helicopters - bunch of spare parts flying around in formation if you ask me. However, these RC heli's are a blast. I'd like to move up to a larger collective-pitch to fly outdoors, but I need some more co-axial time under my belt, as well as lots of simulator time before making that leap, I guess.

I've yet to fly my Hawk Sky or Catalina. I planned on using my neighbor's 16-acre field, but for some reason he hasn't mowed it since last summer...danged dead grass probably 3-feet tall over the whole area. I've just got too many trees here to fly fixed-wings (at least until I know what I'm doing), so I'm probably going to join a club and learn at their field.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
drhlau

Cool...OH-6.   I REALLY RESPECT  the aviators that fly rotors.  Not only is the machine more technically difficult but the types of missions they fly are much more  dangerous.  Hat's off to ya Gale155!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Gale155

Cool...OH-6. I REALLY RESPECT the aviators that fly rotors. Not only is the machine more technically difficult but the types of missions they fly are much more dangerous. Hat's off to ya Gale155!

No "hats off" to me, sir...when I said a couple of hours, I literally meant 2-hours. I knew the pilot, who had something like 3,500 hours in choppers (Army) at the time - much of it in Viet Nam. Otherwise, I probably would have declined the invite.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Gale155

Well, I've finally got a little bit of simulator time under my belt, in both heli's and airplanes. Given the average cost of my three models, I'd say I've gone through about $1,200 so far, had I been flying the real deals. Unbelievable.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
drhlau

Using the simulator makes a huge difference.  Thanks again for the very useful tip on how to get the wings level when the aircraft is coming towards you.  It's totally counter-instinctive, it took alot of simulator time to get use to doing it.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
opjose

Keep at it until you don't even think about which way you move the stick, if the plane is coming or going.

You'll be ready for real world upright flights then.

Next practice inverted flying on the sim until you don't think about it this way as well.

Then move onto flying the plane out in the sim or reducing the view until the plane is a dot in the sky, so to speak.

Learn to control the plane not by it's orientation, but by it reacts to stick inputs.

This last thing is one of the most important skills a sim can teach you.

Sooner or later you loose orientation of your real world plane ( aka "dumb thumbs" ).... by practising in the sim, you'll be ready for this.