Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

DYNAM FOCUS EP 400 STOCK BATTERY PLACEMENT ISSUES/Andy Please review

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

DYNAM FOCUS EP 400 STOCK BATTERY PLACEMENT ISSUES/Andy Please review

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Anomoly27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYNAM FOCUS EP 400 STOCK BATTERY PLACEMENT ISSUES/Andy Please review

This is to warn other pilots that may purchase the EP400 of the stock battery Velcro and potential crash hazzard. Check your Velcro I may have got old velcro or a plane that had been sitting in the heat as there was some other minor issues I was going to overlook like the elevator and rudder control rods were bent as well as the canopy being half glued on hanging off and it looked like it was sitting in the sun as the sticker was bubbling and lifting under the pilot figure. On pre flight checks I also discovered that the pushrod pressure screw was crossthreaded and the push rod was not being held down tight enough causing it to just slide in the housing and allowing no control to the rudder. This being said I should have returned the plane before the crash but I thouhgt these were all just minor things for the price and if the plane flew well, which it did for a minute.

During the construction of the plane I noticed the velcro being weak. The battery is placed directly infront/above the rudder/elevator servos and pushrods. This would be fine if the battery was not so heavy(11.1 1250mah batt) or if they used heavy duty velcro. My first thought was "Wow this would be bad if the battery came loose". So I tested the Velcro and right away I knew it was sketchy, but the factory had preinstalled the weak velcro on both the battery and the plane and additionally I was not really thinking about the laws of physics or gravity when making my final decision to leave the Velcro, and obviously Dynam did not either. I took it out to the field really excited and upon take off I was thrilled the plane was quick manuverable and easy to fly, compared to other low wing airplanes. On my fourth pass just after an easy sweeping turn I see the the plane rapidly dip( from the battery coming loose and falling inside the fuselage) quickley thereafter I lost partial control of JUST the elevator. Upon trying to regain control the elevator I got partial control and then the rudder stuck( I assume from interference with the shifting batterey)sending the plane into a death roll. As I watch the iminent demise of my plane coming I am doing everything to regain control and just as the plane is going to completley nose dive I got some elevator and it seemed like the controls briefly freed up(again Iassume the nose dive shifted the battery away from the servos). This was enough to keep the plane from completley being destroyed but it might as well have as it broke the motor mount, nose cone,motor and bent the pushrods and landing gear and badly damaged the foam fuselage where the nose and engine connects.

All this being said I am not an amature flyer, I saw this coming before even flying but trusted in the manufacturers construction and judgment which was kind of my fault being a seasoned flyer. I tested all the servos immediatly after crash and everything worked "fine" so I know this was due to low attention to detail on the manufacturers part. Im sorry my first post has to be relativley negative but I do not want other Pilots experience with flying or Nitro planes to be soured by such a tiny detail that could have been avoided by better velcro. So the Point in this is if you get the Dynam EP 400 YOUMUST REINFORCE VELCROORCHANGESYSTEMALLTOGETHER. The stock system will not hold up to the G's with the weight of the battery and it can and will lead to a crash when the battery drops onto the control systems. At the very least check it, maybe I got old velcro im not sure it seemed new, I am just sure of why this plane crashed. If you are like most people who visit NitroPlanes you buy them because of the price compared to other trusted brands but there is no point in buying a plane that is going to crash out the box and not due to pilot error. I think it is a beautiful plane and would love to continue flying it so this is also an attempt to see if there is anything NitroPlanes Can do So I can continue to buy Planes from them with confidence. But If nothing else this will help others enjoy their EP 400 because I do think the plane overall would have been great, and I am sure any pilot can share my frustration as we work hard to hone our flying skills and this can wreck a whole day especially on the maiden flight. Andy/Nitroplanes if there is anything you can do for me I would greatly appreciate it. Another EP400 would be nice for all the trouble and things I was going to overlook before the plane crashed. So far Nitro planes had quick delivery and I was pretty satisfied with the initial product, so this is not a knock on Nitro Planes, this is an informative story to help others who purchase with hopes that there are some good honest people left in the R/C world that will help flip this bad experience to a good one. I hope Nitro Planes handles this as I was already looking into two edf jets that I was going to purchase at the same time but decided to wait, now I am glad I did because they were also dynam. Please help me out nitroplanes, and if you buy this plane do not overlook this before your first flight, this is an aerobatic plane and the velcro simply cannot handle it.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Anomoly27

Default RE: DYNAM FOCUS EP 400 STOCK BATTERY PLACEMENT ISSUES/Andy Please review

<pre>817466 Is the order Number.</pre>
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 AM
zanercflyer

Default RE: DYNAM FOCUS EP 400 STOCK BATTERY PLACEMENT ISSUES/Andy Please review

I took the canope off the plane and in front of the pilot there is a recess in the foam the perfect size for 1300 batteries. I cut it out and placed a 1/2 piece of foam directly below on the wing as not to let the battery rest on the rod for the front wheel. The canope was placed back on with velcro. this makes it so ican fly , change batteries .without removing the wing everytime i usually go through about 8 batteries when I go out to the field.The CG is very good with the battery places in this fashion. makes for a quick change and solid placement for the battery.