Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Control Horns breaking on HawkSky

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Control Horns breaking on HawkSky

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
foambreaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Horns breaking on HawkSky

Hi Support Team. Just wanted to let you know a lot of people recommend using blue lockitite on the set screws that hold the control rods onto the control horns of the nitroplanes. Tonight I received a Dynam HawkSky that I ordered on Feb 23 2010 yhst-17210252890263-117133 . I attached the control horns to the control surfaces as per directions, then I used blue locktite to secure the control rods to the clevis by applying locktite to the set screw and the tiny nut that holds it tight to the horn. After about a 1/2 hour the control horns started to break away as the plastic surrounding the nut appeared to become very soft andstarted to crumble away. Finally the elevator and rudder control horns both broke offwhere they contactedthe nut as the plastic around the nutcrumbled. Small pieces of plastic would come off on your fingers like bread crumbs when you touched the control hornwhere it had come in contact with the locktite. I did not have any problems like this when I assembled the Skybus last night, which was on the same order. I checked the Skybus but I will check again several times before flying it. Hopefully it is only on the HawkSky as it hasmuch thinner plastic on the control horns, but I did use locktite on the Skybus as well. I don't think I overtightened the nuts or screws or crushed the control horns on either plane.I will check my local hobby shop to find a stronger way to attach the control rods on my Dynam HawkSky. Just wanted to let you know. Best Regards, Mark.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
opjose

Default RE: Control Horns breaking on HawkSky

This should be a warning that you NEVER EVER apply locktite to plastic.

It will melt and decompose the plastic.

Locktite is only used on metal to metal surfaces.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Gale155

I read about the dangers of using Locktite on plastic at another rc site...big no-no. It will reportedly degrade foam rather quickly, as well. I secured each of the nuts on my Hawk Sky (which has yet to log a flight) with a tiny drop of foam-safe glue.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
drhlau

I use a drop of hot glue