Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Airfield F/A-18 with reverse elevators

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Airfield F/A-18 with reverse elevators

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
cdeerinck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfield F/A-18 with reverse elevators

I just bought and built the ARF version of this jet. It is gorgeous!

I have 2 issues, one really big, and one very concerning...

1) The Elevator servers are wired together into a single plug, when I give the plane "up", one surfaces goes up, and the other down. There doesn't appear to be any way to change how the server horn is connected, as it would hit the wing bottom. I can't reverse the servo, as they two are joined, and they just go up/down in the other direction. How can I fix this?

2) I can't find anything that describes the correct control surface throws. I have flown many planes, and have done many maiden flights, but this is my first jet, and I can't afford the first flight to not go well. How can I find out the best initial throws?

She is begging to be flown. Help?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
opjose

Default RE: Airfield F/A-18 with reverse elevators

You really need to use a "reversed" servo on one of the elevators, or put the other elevator on another channel to do mixing within the TX.

On some planes you can merely invert the servo horn, so that one side's linkage is attached on "top" and the other on the "bottom". This looks a bit strange but also works well if the linkages clear the fuse properly.

Re: Throws.

You'll be safe with about 1/4" up and down on all of the surfaces, the mix in about 50% expo, to make sure the plane is not "twitchy" on you.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM
cdeerinck

The servo's came pre-mounted, and the wiring was already done. The servos and wires are glued into the jet, so I can't replace them without tearing out the foam.
Also, I can't relocate the linkage because I won't clear on the other side.

Unfortunately, nobody at Nitro has responded to my questions.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
opjose

Is the servo on one side RED and the other a different color?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 PM
cdeerinck

No, they are both black.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
opjose

You'll either have to remove an existing ( actually BOTH! ) servo(s) and replace it with a reversed servo or fish out the connector and hook each servo to a separate channel.... assuming you can not use the inverted linkage solution.

The reason you'll want to do both servos is that you want the servo movement matched as much as possible.

On these planes I use the Spektrum programmable servos with their inexpensive programmer, to reverse whichever one I want.

Don't worry about undoing the pre-mounted servo, it's actually quite easy.

Take a sharp hobby knife and cut as close to the servo case as possible on all of the eposed sides. That MAY leave the servo affixed ( with tape or glue ) on the non-exposed side.

At this point I use two "L" shaped picks to pry up on the servo to free the adhesive bond, and it will come away free.

Then carefully pull on the servo connector, letting the wire junction slide out, hook a new servo, affix the connector with tape and then do the other.

Finally hot glue the new servos into place.

I don't know WHY the ARF version fails to come with the one ( red ) reversed servo, but I've run into this too.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
cdeerinck

Thanks for the info.  Since I'm new here, can you tell me if you represent "the official" Nitro Planes response, or are you just a helpful moderator?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
opjose

Mod...

Though I've seen this question before and I have this very plane.

The ARF does come with a non-reversed servo. The RTF comes with the red reversed servo.