RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   NitroModels Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/nitromodels-support-456/)
-   -   70mm F16 EDF Speed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/nitromodels-support-456/9984529-70mm-f16-edf-speed.html)

Collinba 09-06-2010 05:37 PM

70mm F16 EDF Speed

Test flew my new Nitroplanes F16 70 mm EDF today and it flew great, rock solid. Hand launching was a breeze - I didn't bother to put the wheels on. The only problem with it is I'd like a little more speed. I'm using the stock setup out of the box. 2300 mah 20c 4s Lipo. Have no idea what the motor/fan is. the only thing the spec provides is that the ESC is 50 amps.

This is my first electirc and I don't know much about battery/motor/fan combinations. Any thoughts on how to get a little more speed. Would I have to change the motor and/or fan and if so to what. Nitroplanes offer an optional 3000 mah 30c 4s pack. Would that help with the speed.

Would appreciate any advice.

opjose 09-07-2010 12:20 PM

RE: 70mm F16 EDF Speed

Electric planes are a balancing act.

To increase performance you might want to opt for a LARGER higher KV motor.

It needs to be larger to handle the extra current draw. If you simply replace the motor with a higher KV unit of the same size, the motor will likely overheat to the point of ruining the magnets.

A larger motor adds weight, and draws more current, so you may also need to deal with the ESC and battery too, upgrading both of these will add more weight.

More weight equals poorer performance, so your end result might be that the plane will handle exactly as before... but be prone to stalling more easily!

Been there, done that myself!

-

In your shoes I'd opt for a 5C battery knowing that I MAY ruin the motor and ESC if not the BEC too.

But your best bet with a known fairly well working plane, is to REDUCE it's weight as much as possible.

Anything you could do to shave a few ounces will improve performance as dramatically as a new power setup....

Also check your intakes and exhaust. Sand and smooth them as much as possible to improve airflow.

Been there, done that too!

Collinba 09-07-2010 05:06 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I'm getting about 6 minutes using 1800 mah out of a 2200 mah pack which is an average draw of around 20 amps. THe ESC is rated at 50 amps so I may be able to get away with a 5S battery. A 5s 30C 3000mah battery should be well within the 50 amp ESC rating. I assume that the motor and fan are matched to the ESC but don't know as Nitroplanes didn't provide any info on the motor or fan. I can remove the rudder servo and the front wheel steering mechanism that will save a few onces. Thanks for the help.

Barry

opjose 09-07-2010 05:17 PM

Check your PEAK draw on a freshly charged pack as you run the throttle up VERY quickly the first time.

This will be when the EDF tends to draw maximum power.

If you are clocking around 30-38A you should be well within the margin to upgrade to 5S.

I assume that your plane has the separate BEC installed, correct?

If it has, you should see the small separate BEC circuit board connected to the ESC via the white/red/black ( or yellow/red/black ) throttle servo wire.

If you see the BEC board, you should be good to go assuming the above max draw values.

If you don't see the BEC board, then you'll need to install a separate BEC, but if I recall correctly that plane DOES have the BEC... double check to make sure though.

Once you have the new battery in place make sure you run up the EDF SLOWLY on the ground a couple of times to check for blade tip wear.

Remember that it will be spinning MUCH faster after the upgrade so those blades may bend out even more than before due to centripetal force.

I do suggest removing any unneeded servos and hardware...

Good luck!

Report back what happens with your guided cruise missle!