Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS .15 CV probs

Old 07-29-2003, 03:27 PM
deeznutz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .15 CV probs

Hello, this may be a shot in the dark but here goes... I have an OS .15 CV motor in my RS4-2. Engine was properly broken in, and I've ran an extra quart since break in. The motor seemed to run great until last weekend. I was in mid run, and the engine was still quite cool, when the motor seemed to seize. I pulled out the motor to make sure that there wasn't anything wierd going on with my gearing (which checked out fine). It seems as though there is a prob with the pull start, as the cable will not pull at all. Any quick fixes you could suggest? I have not taken the pull start off yet, as there are so many warnings about doing it in the instruction manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to avoid taking it to my LHS (they're backlogged on their repairs, and I'd like to race this weekend!).
Old 07-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OS .15 CV probs

Without seeing the engine, we'd not know what your difficulty may be. With R/C car engines, the most common problem is a connecting rod that seized to the crankshaft and then twisted off. This is caused by a lack of lubrication at the lower-end of the rod.

As far as "proper" breakin is concerned, there are so many different tall-tales about how to properly break in an R/C car engine, that we'd not be sure of that.

Also, please see the FAQ on temperatures. They are not reliable until you've found out what temperature your engine should run at, and you find that out while you're running the engine, not from someone else who tells you what temp you should use.

http://www.osengines.com/faq/product-faq.html#q14

You may wish to send the engine to the service center to be checked.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:33 PM
deeznutz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .15 CV probs

Well, Just got back from the hobby shop. We opened it up to find the piston rod broke into about a million pieces. Apparently, there was no (or not enough) oil getting to the brass coupler on the rod (like you said in the previous posting). Luckily, no metal shards got through to the sleeve or piston its self. Is this something you guys see alot of? I find it kinda hard to believe that this thing blew from my neglect. I've only ran about a quart and a half of monster horsepower 20% through it (over the course of 2 months), and followed the instructions included with the motor, to a tee! Perhaps in future printings of the instruction manual, you guys should recommend a fuel with a higher oil percentage, or some type of instructions for how to drill a larger hole in the rod, so that oil can flow to the coupler?