Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 15CV-X - ticking noise

Old 01-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Solo996

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 15CV-X - ticking noise

Hi!

I'm new to this forum but it seems as good a place as any to ask this question.

I have a 15CV-X (blue, flat-sided head) that I've been running in an HPI truck since around 2004. It has never let me down and has done a lot of work. On Friday afternoon I was giving it a run and following some high speed stuff (a large carpark), it started a buzzing type noise. I immediately idled it back to me and shut it down. On idle it appears to be a tick on every rev - or at least close to this.

It clicks with every pull of the pull starter. With the plug out (no comp), you can't hear it. I've also pulled the pull starter off and it doesn't seem to be a problem with that - although it would be difficult to tell anyway.

Any ideas? I just wanted to check if it's a well knownoccurrence, or whether it could be anything and needs more investigation!

Thanks in advance!
Rich
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 15CV-X - ticking noise

You may need to check the fit of the parts. An RC car engine that's been run a lot can develop loose con-rod ends. That will be a possible source of the clicking. You'd notice it only with a plug installed because that't the only time you'll get the resistance of compression.

Check the parts. If there is visible movement of the rod on the crankpin or wrist pin, the rod is worn out and should be replaced. If you can only see oil squeeze, then it's still OK.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM
pure speed:]

I've recently had kind of the same problem, after 6+ gal. o.s. .18 my ballbearings was letting the crank woble and rub the bottom of my mill. Also with my glow plug out it would have a rough spot while spinning the crank or kind of click/clunk that was the play in my conrod ... better off buyin a new motor costs bout the same rebuild and you still would have the same used mill...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Solo996

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply. I will pull the back plate off and have a look at the crank and rod ends.

Cheers!
Rich