Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS .18TM Piston "damage?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Danker16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .18TM Piston "damage?"

well my OS.18tm has been sitting since mid summer 2010 in my room... last time it was ran it was giving me headaches, it would be a pain to start, and it would randomly stall at WOT.

I decided to open it up today and noticed alot of black fluid between the front bearing and flywheel and under the crankcase. in addition to that, the rear bearing rolls very ruff and sounds like it is rusted.

but the most astonishing thing is what is going on with my piston.

what is this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67661.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1554897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25940.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1554898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52754.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1554899  
Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS .18TM Piston

It looks like your engine has either ingested foreign matter, which is what would cause the pitting on the piston crown, or something's coming apart inside. If the bearing is rusted to the point that it's difficult to turn, then it's possible you've had corrosion products running through the engine, and even pieces of the bearing. We really can't determine any cause unless we see the engine. However, please be aware that foreign object ingestion or corosion damage are not covered under the warranty.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Danker16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .18TM Piston

actually now that you mention it, i just inspected the engine again. the rearing bear has a slight rattle, i was exaggerating.
but the bottom of the cylinder has something going on that could explain the damage on the piston...
I haven't even ran through my 4th gallon yet.. some people have ran about 20 gallons on these so sad.

I will update with pics