Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS SX 50 H-ring...little help please..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM
colosus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS SX 50 H-ring...little help please..

Hi guys....
Ok iam not a newbie to Helis or any RC models , its been in my blood for over 25 years....
anyway i got this prob with the old SX 50 H-ring motor...its been in my ERGO 50 Schwietzer for about 7-8 years, i used to fly it every two-three weeks then life changed and started to fly less...i start this Heli every two or three months but normaly i would start it every month if i didnt forget ... but recently i cant seem to start her after leaving it for 4 months on the shelf with afterrun (not in carb), now for two weeks in a row i charged all batteries, tanked up and using my 180 Hobbyco starter with a large size 12v car battery ... tried to get her going...normaly with some turns she starts....but this time she blocks on what i think is the upstroke then turns better down stroke, i remove the plug and she turns with ease...as u know this is normal but the thing is ive burned out my 180 starter trying to get her going, my old 60 starter makes about two turns slowly, just not enough power there, em..i'am pulling my hair out whats left of it [&:] ...i looked at the carb setting and it seems to be set right with the switch on the transmitter, this switch sets the idle to a normal level to start her and also sliding the throttle slider on transmitter to give more throttle, ive not had to move any settings since she was first installed...but something is not right, the car battery went low on juice and starter cables hot.. this is not a heavly used motor, this Heli has never been upsidedown either, i fly her for the semi scale and the thrill, she is realy an old JRPropo beauty...check my photos and you will see her..

Can some one help me out if they think they know what the prob is please.
also i got no air-cleaner on the carb...some how either i had one and lost it or i never put one on...its escaped me

cheers
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS SX 50 H-ring...little help please..

It sounds like your engine is getting hydraulic lock, That means oil, fuel, or such is getting into the cylinder and preventing the engine from turning over. If the engine turns over very smoothly when the glow plug is removed, then there you are. The cure is to remove the glow plug, turn the engine over with the starter for a bit before you attempt to start the engine. You may also want to make sure the muffler is drained of oil and there's no fuel in the tank or lines before you put the heli away for storage.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM
colosus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS SX 50 H-ring...little help please..

Hi Bax and thanx for a response..

Ok i have already tried turning the motor over without the glowplug for a good 30 or more secounds but once putting the plug back its turns then blocks, i also took the tank completely out and cleaned it, cleaned all fuel lines and then made a fresh tank up, i didnt yet look into the exhaust....when i say it blocks i mean it still turns but is very hard like its got so much compression then it makes a little puck sound as the piston strokes down then it turns easy....

I will take the exhaust off on the weekend and clean it out.....if you think of anything else that it could be please send a message....

i will let you know how it goes, once i try to start her again...em now with a burntout starter...hmm...

Thanx