Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FT-120 Gemini II

Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
lumpy649
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FT-120 Gemini II

Hi, I have a question about this engine and am looking for advice. Please bear with me as this is only my second glow engine, Iuse to fly all electrics.I installed this engine, which was new in the box, and ran it acording to OS break in proceedure today. The problem I am having is that the right cylinder is running cooler and spitting alot of fuel out of it's exhaust. Is this normal because it's new and not broke in yet? I ran it up and down using only the mixture screw. I know I need to check the glow plug and I'll readjust the valves for the cooler cyl. The left cyl seems to be ok. Also, I don't have the separate carbuerator instruction sheet. How do I set idle? I'm assuming that the low speed mixture is the small screw next to the high speed needle? Please respond with any advice.
Thanks,
Lumpy 649
Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FT-120 Gemini II

When you adjust the high-speed needle, you do it at full throttle. Use a tachometer and set the engine to peak RPM, and then richen it about 200 RPM or so. You'll fine-tune the engine based upon how it performs in the air.

The idle mixture is adjusted via an air-bleed hole. Turn the screw counter-clockwise to lean the idle mixture, and clockwise to richen the idle mixture. There isn't a separate instruction set for the carburetor.

You can download the manual for the FT-160, it's the same information.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM
hurrejola

Hi
It seems as if you do not have the right cylinder working. You have to put a glow driver to this cylinder and it will pick up, giving you more power. I have found in mine that even though you put a glow driver in both of them when you start it, sometimes only one fires and the other one has to be "lit" again in order to pick up.
Good luck
Hector
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM
lumpy649
My Feedback: (75)

Thanks for your responses, it turned out that the rubber boot on the right cyl glow driver wire was a hair too long, thus preventing the golw plug from being "locked" into the clip
Thanks,
lumpy 649