Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

How to disassemble O.S. 140 RX

Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Winrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disassemble O.S. 140 RX

Hi there,

When disassembling the O.S. 140 RX for cleaning/bearing exchange I am having problems to remove the connecting rod. Even after pulling the cylinder sleeve and setting the piston in top dead center there is not enough play to slip the rod from its lower bearing at the crank pin. It gets stuck half way even if I try to work the rod on the piston pin towards the same side. Thank you for any suggestions.

Best regards

Winrich
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How to disassemble O.S. 140 RX

You have to use something as a lever to force the rod off of the crankpin. The only other way would be to try to remove the spring retainer on the piston pin through the exhaust port, but it's very difficult because there is little room to work.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Winrich

Hi Bax,

thank you for your reply. I am just hesitant to use much force because I am afraid to distort the bearing bushing - or is that less sensitive than I thought?

Best regards

Winrich
Old 08-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Winrich

Hi Bax,

I got it out now. A dentist mirror brought it to light. The problem was, that the piston pin was seized in the upper rod bearing and all what the rod did was to rotate the pin in the piston bore holes. After soaking with WD40 I could work the rod along the pin a bit to the side, enough to finally get the rod also off the crank pin.

Best regards

Winrich