Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

peeling sleeve on 75ax

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
stevosr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default peeling sleeve on 75ax

I have had several of my OS engines peel their liner, 2 46fx's a 55ax and now my 75ax. I have over 25 nitro planes with various brands of engines and have not had any issues with any other engines. I treat all of them the same. I use 15% nitro S&W fuel with 18%oil (16%syn/2%castor) I run my engines dry each day and use a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil in the carb. I put caps on the carb. and muffler for traspotation and storage. I don't overly rev my engines but I don't run them slobery rich either. I replaced the liners in the 46fx engines with the magnum XLS 46 piston and liners which has worked out well for me. I purchased new OS piston and liners for the 55 and 75ax engines and I have not used them since. I am NOT bashing OS I just want some guidance with how I should care for the 55 and 75ax engines this time. I used an 13 X 4 APC sport prop on the 55 turning 12500rpm's on a Stik and I used a 13 X 8 3 blade MA prop on the 75 turning 10500rpm's on a Calmato 60. The 55 has been in the box for two years since it peeled and the 75 just peeled last week. The bearings look OK but I am installing new BOCA bearings anyway. Any guidance would be appreciated. I really liked these engines they start easy idle and transition very well. I attached pictures of the 75ax.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20584.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1713166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85690.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1713167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78025.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1713168  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: peeling sleeve on 75ax

The warranty would apply, but you'd need to send the engine to us for warranty coverage.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM
stevosr

I have had the 75ax for more than 2 years and I have already rebuilt it. I just want to know how to keep it in good shape. I put this engine on one of'
my favorite planes and now and will be flying it every week. With the failures I have had with some of my OS engines and NO failures with any other brand,
I think that I need to do something different with tuning or storage of these engines. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve
Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 AM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

The early O.S. FX engines were nickel plated. There was an on-going problem with peeling.
I have seven OS SF engines that are twenty years old that are true ABC with no problems. I believe the later FX models switched to the bimetallic liner along with the the AX models.