Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fuel tube size for 95AX and 1.20AX

What is the correct fuel tube size for these engines? There are no recommendations on the O.S. or the Tower sites.

The 1.20AX hasn't been installed yet. The 95AX went from being touchy but working to not working. The club's engine guru has spent several hours trying to get it to run reliably. If, and that's a big if, the plane gets off the ground, the engine quits after a few minutes. Usually, everything gets adjusted, and as the throttle is advanced for take-off, the engine dies. All of your previous suggestions have been done, to no avail. The only thing I haven't changed is the size of the fuel tubing. Since life is too short to fuss with a temperamental engine, I'll be looking for something different.

I just hope the 1.20AX works better.

Thank you,
    Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Fuel tube size for 95AX and 1.20AX

For up to a 1.20-size engine, we just use regular medium tubing. If an engine will run for only a few minutes while flying and then quit, it's going lean. Usually, this is because there's not enough fuel pressure. Your muffler may not be able to pressurize the fuel tank enough to give you good fuel flow. This is quite common with aftermarket exhaust systems. You may also need to check the pressure lines to make sure the tank is actually being pressurized. Running a too-large prop will also cause problems. Make sure the engine is getting well cooled. O.S. recommends using large props for low noise. Lower nitro content will also help because the engine will run cooler.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com