Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 1.6 FX Starting question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 05:33 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OS 1.6 FX Starting question

Hello,
I have an OS 1.6 FX with a Brisson pitts muffler and a Pro Zinger 18-8 prop. I also installed a perrry oscillating pump as per the manufacturers directions so I could put the tank on the aircraft's center of gravity. I also have the muffler pressure tap hooked up to the pressure line on the tank. I am also using a Du-Bro in line fueler.
I noticed others on this list seem to have excellent response to starting this mill. I was told to open the throttle, and cover the exhaust stacks on the muffler and flip it a few times to get a prime going. Motor is side mounted.
My problem is getting a good prime. I get fuel going up to the carburetor just fine this way, but it just runs out of the carb. I can't flip it fast enough by hand to draw enough fuel into the engine. This is really fustrating. Othwise the motor runs super. I just wish I could get it to start a little easier.
Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8752_1278.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	6009  
Old 04-17-2002, 06:00 PM
amcross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,
May i ask why you're using the oscillating pump? The regulator pump is designed for 2 strokes and works so very much better.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:07 PM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello AnnMarie,
Could be, I just figured there were less tubes and less to go wrong. It runs just fine, do you think this could be part of the starting problem?
Rick
Old 04-22-2002, 02:49 PM
amcross

Rick,
I wouldn't think so, but it couldn't hurt to try. The regulating pumps really work great.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Phil Cole

I use the regulating pump, so it pumps as you turn the engine over.

To get the prime into the engine, plug the carb. With cowling this can be a bit hard with your finger, but you can do it. I have a short piece of silicone tube, plugged at one end, which slips over the carb. I crank until I see fuel sloshing around in the tube, pull it off and then connect glow power. One or two backflips will have it running.

If I overprime I have to do a bit more flipping to get the mixture down to something that will start. With the exhaust port on the bottom it's easy to get the excess fuel out of there.