Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Powerbox Muffler and OS 61FX

Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Powerbox Muffler and OS 61FX

Hello Bill,
I have an OS-61FX that I got with a BCM Pitts muffler on it.The plane I am building now would look better with a stock type muffler on it instead ofthe pitts.

One of the guys in my club has a Powerbox Muffler from the 75AX he wants to sell me. The number on the muffleris E-4040. He says it should fit my 61 as they both have thesamebolt pattern.

My question is will this muffler be ok to run on this engine? Will it do anything to hinder the perfromance?Or should I try and get the stock muffler for it? Which I believe is the E-4010.

thanks for your time,
Bill
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Powerbox Muffler and OS 61FX

The E-4040 muffler has mounting hole of 42 mm between centers. The .61 FX has 43.8 mm between centers. The muffler will likely not fit without some modification somewhere.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 PM
thebluemax

ORIGINAL: Bax

The E-4040 muffler has mounting hole of 42 mm between centers. The .61 FX has 43.8 mm between centers. The muffler will likely not fit without some modification somewhere.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for getting back to me. I talked to my friend about what you said and he was adamantthat it would fit. So we tried to see if it would fit or not. Well she bolted right up to it with no problems. No mods were necessary to make it fit.I attached 3 pictures we took showing the muffler bolted onto the engine. I also attached a picture from the 61FX manual which shows the exhaust boltspacing at 42mm.

Will there be any performance issues or any kind of power loss using this muffler on this engine? Or should I try and geta e-4010 muffler whichthe 61FX manual lists.

thanks again for your time.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it fits, and is in the size range, it should work OK.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM
thebluemax

sounds good. thank you for your time. have a good holiday.

ORIGINAL: Bax

Since it fits, and is in the size range, it should work OK.