Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OLD vs NEW OS 46 FX

Old 10-02-2003, 01:17 PM
temorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLD vs NEW OS 46 FX

I just recently purchased an OS 46 FX from a hobby store which is more focused on electric engines/planes than glow. It was the only glow engine in the store. Is there a way to determine if this engine is one of the "OLDER" engines that is susceptible to the infamous cylinder sleeve peeling or am I going to have to go through utilizing the engine and hope I don't have that problem? I assume OS Engines have rectified this problem by now.

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OLD vs NEW OS 46 FX

If the engine was manufactured after mid-1997, it would have the new plating process in the cylinder liner. Other than asking when the retailer purchased the engine, there's no way to determine when the engine was made by any external inspection.

Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Post removed by moderator
Old 10-14-2003, 08:33 PM
ShempHoward

Jim: I got your e-mail and PM but I cannot reach anybody on RCU via E-Mail or PM due to the new system not being compatible with Web TV. I can read PM's but cannot send them and I cannot e-mail anybody otherwise I would have done it.

Tom Morris - e-mail me and I will let you know of some possible methods to try and judge the age of your 46FX.

Sorry - Mods this was the only way for me to make any contact with you guys.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shemp,

Good job

--Jim
Old 10-16-2003, 06:28 PM
temorris

Thanks Shemp for your reply to my question. I sent you a note via the normal e-mail system. Hope you received it.

Tom
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 AM
cphdrider

Mr. Baxter, I have an OSFX 46 that I purchased new in the 90's and just recently installed it in a plane. One of my club members informed me these engines had a major problem with the cylinder plating and that I should remove the head and inspect it. I had flown it about 10 flights, so we removed the head at the field(simple to do) and yes the cylinder has alot of peeling around the top. I have been flying RC for many years andI have collected severalnitro engines over the years that I havenever used.This is one of those engines and I would hope that although I bought it in the 90's OS would still warrant this problem as it is metal and not subjected to wear out sitting in a box. Please advise what my options are to get this engine repaired and thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The O.S. Max .46 FX engine was discontinued nearly 10 years ago. O.S. will not cover any warranty now, unless the actual sale from an authorized O.S. retailer took place within the past two years.