Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS Surpass 91

I have a Surpass 91 that a friend gave to me. He has completly stripped down the engine, removed everything, pushrods, pushrod cam, rockers etc.
    I am attempting to rebuild it and would appreciate instructions as to how to get valve timing and engine timing correct, and any tips regarding re assembly
    Thank you, Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS Surpass 91

I 'invented' a tool for installing the split collets - I'm sure that it's nothing original. But it was easier to use this to push down the spring and cap in order to install those split collets. By the way, you don't need an expensive nut driver to fab this took. In fact, the cheaper (softer metal) the better.

There are three tricks that you need to use. The first one (my original idea) is to put a piece of soft wood into the inside of the cylinder to hold the valve snug against the head while you reassemble the valve spring/collets. This keeps the valve stem from dropping out when you push on the spring and collets.

The second idea, which I stole from someone else online, was to use a toothpick to pick up some grease. Use this grease to pick up one of the split collets at a time to install them. The grease has to be thick.

A third idea would be to do this inside a plastic ziplock bag (that's been suggested about a million times by various people). If one of those pieces gets away from you (Twang!!! ) you have a fighting chance to capture it.

I also uploaded a txt file that came from the web (possibly the OS site itself) about timing. It's in txt format so might need some massaging in Microsoft Word.

Give it a day or so and see if other guys chime in here with good ideas. Keep us in the loop as to how you are making out. I think that my old Surpass is turning about 9300 on a 14x6 prop if I recall correctly.

Just my $.02

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56821.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1783641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21236.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	1783642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vb74162.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	1783643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sl27258.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1783644  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS Surpass 91

That's a good idea for a "custom" tool. We usually use a hemostat and just grip the outside of the retainer and push it down when the cylinder head is on a piece of wooden dowel that's about 1" tall. The valves rest on the dowel and so they don't move when we press down on the retainer.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com