Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Prop Choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 04:12 PM
cfischer505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Choice

Greetings All,

I am a transplant to the NW part of New Mexico, and the field I fly at is at about 6000 feet... back in New York the field was maybe 500 feet.

I have noticed that I dont get the climb performance here in NM I got in NY, so I think I need to switch props.. so do anyone who flys at 6000+ have any advice or know of a resource on the net I might find this info?

my plane is a Great Planes Big Stik 40 (kit built) weighing 6.3 lbs with a OS 70 4 stroke and a Master Airscrew 12-8 4 stroke prop (K series)

I would rather stick to MA props as they are not as brittle as APC.. and I dont have much ground clearance (1/2 inch) to play with, so a 13 inch prop is out..

thanks for the help & keep your glow plug out of the dirt

Charlie Fischer
Old 09-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Prop Choice

Because of the altitude, your engine can't develop the power it did at the near sea-level altitudes you used to fly at. You can try going with less pitch on the propeller, but you'll need to keep the RPM below 11,000. You'll still likely have somewhat lousy climb performance.

The only way to get the power "back" is to go with a larger engine. While the larger engine might be too big for sea-level flying, the reduced power level of the larger engine will be back in the range of power needed for the model.