Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FS61 cam bearing removal

Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 PM
aerocowboy82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FS61 cam bearing removal

Anybody have any tips for removing the internal cam bearing from an OS FS61 four stroke engine. Tried heating in oven and tapping against block of wood. Bearing really stuck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85872.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	952378  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS FS61 cam bearing removal

If heating and then tapping against a wooden block won't get the cam bearing to come out, you then have to make a small grabber and use a device similar to a slap-hammer. We made ours out of small screws. Harry Higley's book, "All About Engines" details how such a thing is made. You basically make small pins that have feet that go under the bearing. Slide them into a holder and then tap them out. The tool is hand-made, and not something you can just go out and buy.

Sometimes, soaking overnight in anti-freeze will help loosen the gunk that's been "cooked on". It's that gunk that's keeping the bearing from coming out.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
stewart69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS FS61 cam bearing removal

Hi, I made a little tool to get the cam bearings out,fits any bearing with a 5mm ID. Slip it in,tighten the draw bolt,apply some heat and pull,they just pop out when you can grab hold of them.Can also be used to install the new bearings. PM if you want me to make you one.Fits OS ASP MAGNUM Single cylinder 4 strokes with 5mm ID bearings ie FS 52/61/70/80/91/120
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44061.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1820986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46746.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1820987