Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Upgrade for a OS Max 60FP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Upgrade for a OS Max 60FP

Hello Bax,

I scored a beautiful NIB OS Max 60FP at a Swap Meete last weekend. It is planned to be used in a BTE Models Venture 60. After looking the engine over, it looks like the 60A carb had a relatively small throat (even smaller than the 55AX). Would any of the later OS carbs would be a better fit for this engine and perhaps give it a boost and a little more spirit?

Would you have a recommendation as to the best prop for this engine and sport aircraft combination?

Thanks for your help,

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade for a OS Max 60FP

For propeller, an 11 x 7, 11 x 8, or 12 x 6 would be good ones to start with, and go from there. See how the engine runs and the airplane flies. Prop it to run in the high 11,000's or better when leaned to just rich of peak RPM while on the ground.

As far as the carb is concerned, OS didn't really make any others that fit. The small venturi is needed to give good handling as well as a good fuel draw. Go to a larger intake venturi, and you'll lose some of the very nice handling characteristics.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
what i am doing is using the remote neelde valve and opening the stock one 4 turns out save those fingers

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFJY5
Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Bax, I'll keep that advice. I wasn't expecting the plane to become an instant fire breather with a change of carb, just looking to gain a larger prop or a few more RPM. I appreciate the advice and will prop it so. I might even try a lower pitch 13" if the plane can take the diameter. I'm betting that the 12x6 will be the one, though.

And thanks for the idea on the RNV. I think that I might have one.

Bob