Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FT-240 Cam/Crankshaft Timing

Does anyone know how to set camshaft to crankshaft timing marks on this engine. I see that the crankshaft has a mark on it and the camshaft has a hole. I know these need to be aligned, but are the timing marks on each gear wheel aligned so each is pointing away from each other or towards each other?

Also, does anyone know definitively whether air tool oil will dissolve gummy oil deposits in engines? I have read some forum posts about old brand new engines seizing because of congealed/dried up oil inside the engine (because original factory oil has dried up over the many years an engine has been sitting). In particular, oil hole blockage on connecting rods by dried up oil leading to lubrication failure during the first run of the engine.

Connecting Rod Failure - Congealed Oil

FT-240 Connecting Rod Seizure

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FT-240 Cam/Crankshaft Timing

The timing marks are usually set so that they are in a straight line between the centers of the crankshaft and camshaft. They would be adjacent to each other in the center.

To de-gum an engine, you can soak it in glow fuel. The fuel will dissolve old deposits. You can also disassemble the engine and use "four-ought" (0000) steel wool to clean the parts, but you must be absolutely sure to get all shreds of the steel wool out of the engine before you reassemble it.

Any good cleaning solvent, such as varsol will also do the job. Just keep it away from the rubber o-rings in the carb and on the pushrod covers.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FT-240 Cam/Crankshaft Timing

This is great information. Thanks for your help Bax.