Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FT-160 rod removal help, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Sandyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FT-160 rod removal help, please

Hi Bax, I am working on an FT-160 and cannot get the small bolts loose that hold the connecting rod and cap together. I have tried heat, both directly on the rod with a micro torch, and also placed the bottom end assembly in an oven at 275 degrees. Neither helped, and I am afraid I will strip the bolt heads if I use any more force.

Got any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

SandyT
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We've never had a problem. We just make sure that the hex key we're using is fairly new with clean and sharp edges. Worn ones won't do the job and will strip. We then apply torque carefully. If the worst happens, then you'll have to drill off the heads. That will allow the cap to come off and the remainder of the bolt will unscrew with little force at all.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Sandyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid you were going to say that. I had thought of drilling the heads off, but since the bolts are only available with a new rod, that would certainly be a last (expensive) resort.

Thanks for the quick reply.