Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

In-cowl muffler for OS 91 FX

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 03:23 PM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-cowl muffler for OS 91 FX

I am needing to get an in-cowl muffler for my OS 91FX. I like the one that Top Flite makes (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=1&I=LXHY74&P=7) because it is semi-independent of the engine installation. However, it says it is only for a .61-.75 engine. I am building a TF Sea Fury and the engine is mounted at about a -60 degree angle. The other pitts mufflers don't look like they would work very well. The pipes would be sticking out the side of the cowl rather than out the bottom.

Thanks for your help,

Herb
Old 04-25-2002, 06:53 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Herb,

You might also look at the line of in cowl mufflers that Jett engineering. I have one for my 91FX but have not run it yet so can't tell you how well it works. They are pretty compact and are supposed to add RPM. Based on my Jett engine, I don't doubt that they work well.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:38 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Herb,
The TF muffler is a definite NO NO for your OS or ST 91. You'll cook it in a heartbeat.

Sorry, i'm not sure what pitts specifically fits the Sea Fury. Did mike not recommend one in the manual (let me know and i'll beat him up!) :-) My hubby designed that aircraft.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:42 PM
Herb-RCU

Thanks, A.M. I knew that the G.P. one was not a good idea but I liked its design. The manual does not recommend a muffler for a .91 engine. Only a .60 -.75. Of course, it doesn't really recommend a .91 engine either. I ended up ordering a Slimline for it. We'll see how it fits.

Thanks for your help,

Herb

P.S. You can tell your "hubby" that I have enjoyed building the plane so far!