Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os 46fx..need serious help

Old 09-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 46fx..need serious help

I have a new 46 fx..followed the break in procedure. The problem is once in the air the engine quits every time. Usually I can get 1/2 tank and then it will quit.I have it on an OMP edge profile..The tank is slightly higer than the centerline of the engine. There are no leaks in the tank and no foaming. In order to get a full tank I have to run it extremely rich and even then it quits most of the time. I can be flying level and all of a sudden it just cuts out. I have checked for leaks, the neddle valve is tight..I even put some tubing over it to be sure it wasnt moving and leaning out. Im running 10% cool power with a 11.5X4 APC prop and stock muffler. Im not new at this and have had many engines but this is a real mystery..maybe there is a crack in the carb or housing?? Help!!!

Joe
Old 09-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os 46fx..need serious help

If your engine cuts out clean after a short period, then it's either too lean, is getting vibration-induced fuel foaming, or there's something that's stopping the fuel flow.

Fuel flow can be stopped if there's a crack in the fuel line inside the tank that is unported when the fuel level drops to that point. Also, many times, the fuel-feed line to the engine is accidentally attached to the vent line. When the engine's used a bit of fuel, the level drops below the ventline's outlet port. Presto! No fuel.

The way to check if it's the engine, is to put the engine on a test fixture with everything in the open. You can double-check all the fuel lines and make sure there are no problems. If the engine will run "all day", then the problem's somewhere in the installation, and not in the engine, itself.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: os 46fx..need serious help

Thanks for the quick help!! I bought new fuel lines for the tank and engine and I also took apart the carb and flushed it out. I have test run the engine on a stand and it runs fine...I will try to put more foam under the tank and see if that helps..I DEFINITELY know I have it running rich so I know its not too lean..