Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Can't remove muffler screws OS 32 SX

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
hankster211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove muffler screws OS 32 SX

needed to remove muffler from OS 32 SX, but muffler screws are frozen. Coming close to wallowing out the screw head. Any Suggestions? Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Worst case is that you must drill off the heads of the bolts. Then they'll come right out. Maybe you can also grip the heads with a small pair of Vise-Grip pliers and turn them off. You might be able to saw a straight slot in the bolt heads to use a flat-blade screwdriver. Any one of these may be what works.

The main problem is that the screws use JIS cross-point screws and not Phillips screws. However, many times a #2 Phillips will work, but apply gentle, steady pressure, and don't jerk it while trying to loosen the screws.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM
hankster211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Bax, yes I'm aware of the JIS standard and used that type of screwdriver, but even so, they're still frozen. I tried heating with a heat gun, but still to no avail. Guess I'll have to drill them.........thanks again.