Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 1.60 FX SPINNER ADAPTOR ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:30 AM
BruceW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 1.60 FX SPINNER ADAPTOR ?????

I'm having a doozy of a time finding a spinner adaptor to fit my '160. 3/8x24 is the thread size. All the ones I've tried are too long. I'm trying to use an 2-1/4" or a 2-1/2" spinner, but can't come up with an adaptor nut. Neither Great Planes or Dave Browns' adaptors will work. I've got the only Tru-Turn adaptor made for the '160 on order. Perhaps the smaller size spinners are just too short?
What works for you.....???? Thanks for your time, BruceW
Old 11-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 1.60 FX SPINNER ADAPTOR ?????

Sorry, we don't have an answer for you. We use the same spinners you do, but not so small on that large an engine. Usually, large engines go on large planes that can accomodate larger spinners. Such a small spinner causes problems on a large engine because you not only don't have much clearance between the prop and the tip of the spinner, but the prop hub starts to require cutting away an awful lot of the side of the spinner.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:14 PM
JimRoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bax,
What spinner can I get for an APC prop? Everything I look at won't work with them because the hub is too wide and overlaps the screw holes. Is it safe to relieve the hub to where the screws will engage?

JimRoss
Old 12-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you relieve a spinner, you don't want to affect any of the attach points. If you're using a plastic spinner that uses screws to hold the cone to the backplate, you'll have to relieve the spinner cone so that the screws aren't affected. If you can't do that, then that kind of spinner just isn't the right kind to use.

Even with spinners that use a special nut on the propshaft, and a screw from the center of the cone for retention, some of the smaller spinners are just too small for the larger engines to allow you to install them. Basically, if you have to cut more than about 25% of the spinner's side to clear the prop, the spinner's too small, and you'll have to try something else.