Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 160 Cant Get It Rich

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 PM
PlaneCrazzy
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 160 Cant Get It Rich

I have a OS 160 FX running a 16x10 Prop Slimline Pitts style muffler with smoke, but have the smoke plugged off, getting 9500 rpm. I cant get it to run rich enough. I have the plane on the ground and turn the high end half a turn at a time and the rpm's dont drop it stays at 9500. I bring it back up to full throttle and pinch the fuel line and she dies quickly with no increase of rpm. I even had the needle all the way out where it was ready to pop off still with no rpm change. Help !!

Chris
Old 11-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 160 Cant Get It Rich

Two things are likely: The muffler's not delivering enough pressure to the fuel tank, and your fuel tubing may be too small. Your problem is simply due to the fact that the engine's just not getting enough fuel. When you re-plumb the fuel system, you'll have to enlarge ALL of the tubing, from the clunk all the way to the engine. Some types of fuel tanks make this easy, others will just have to be replaced.

You may have to reduce the amount of outlet area of your exhaust system to get increased pressure. Also please make sure your fuel tank's not too low or too far away from the engine.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:36 AM
PlaneCrazzy

Bax,
Before I change the fuel lines to larger ones. I am using medium size tubing the same size tubing that is insatalled on the engine from the factory. I am going to switch also the port where I connect the vent tube to the muffler. since it was equipped for smoke and i am only using 1 tap and have the other plugged. The fuel tank is right behind the engine at the perfect height. Do you think if I install a Perry pump it will eliminate the problem ? I have never installed one but I see alot of posts people love them.

Thank You
Chris
Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 PM
PlaneCrazzy

Bax,

Haaaaaa The Sweet Smell Of Success. I took apart the gas tank, changed the small clunk to a large one, changed the spaghetti size tubing to the clunk, also found I put a 90 bend on the vent in the tank which I saw was really restricted, changed that to a 45 angle made it longer to get to the top of the tank. Also changed the fuel filter from small to large. Cranked her up got 9500 rpm with 16x10 back off high end to 9200 rpm. I am now out 2 3/4 on the high end and the more I go I can now get more fuel to the engine. Thanks for the help Bax. I got caught up in all the threads about a pump, but dont need it. Also she idles at a smooth solid 2000 rpm with a crisp transition !!!

Thank You Again
Chris
Old 12-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to help, and I'm glad you found the difficulty.

bax