Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

% Oil suitable for OS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:43 AM
stelios
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default % Oil suitable for OS

I am flying five OS 4-stroke engines (FS-52, 91, 120, FT-160 gemini).

The fuel I use since I entered the hobby (2 years ago) is Model Techincs Dynaglo 10% nitro, 10% oil (8% EDL synthetic + 2% castor). For bettrer lubrication I enrich it with oil and in total have 14% oil (12% EDL + 2% castor).

Till now I had no problem. No deadstics, overheating or anything else obvious that something is wrong.

OS manual suggests 18% oil but I really thing it is too much compared with what is available in the fuel market. In other words a lot of fuels have less oil than 18%.

OS manual for FT-160 downloaded from osengines.com suggests 10% oil. The manual included in the box suggests 18% oil for the same engine...

I am really confused on this matter. All I know is that I want to keep my engines as new as possible together with my planes clean from oil dirt. Hence, I am interested for less oil %.

What is your opinion for Model Techincs Dynaglo and its oil %?

Am I right enriching it with oil up to total 14% (12% synth + 2% castor)? The OS distributor in Greece thinks that Dynaglo as it is (10% oil) is good enough.

What is that 10% oil suggested for FT-160 from the downloaded manual? Why in the engines box you recommend 18%?

Thanks

Stelios
Old 07-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: % Oil suitable for OS

We're checking with O.S. In the past, O.S. said to use fuels with no less than 16% oil content, so the 10% sounds low, and may well be a mistake in printing. We normally run the same fuel we use in the two-stroke engines, and that has 18% oil content in a synthetic/castor mix.

We're not at all familiar with the brand of fuel you're using, so we have no comment for you on that.