Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 70 - looks fine, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
joelsaxton
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 70 - looks fine, won't start

I recently crashed a kadet senior with an OS 70 surpass four stroke engine. The engine appeared intact. I verified the glow plug still worked, I verified compression, and I examined all the parts that I could without disassembling it and they appeared fine. The problem is that it won't start any more. The engine feels strong with compression, but it sounds just slightly different when I am turning it over than it did before. It will not ignite. What should I do? Take it apart? Send it to some repair center? Anyone else have an apparently undamaged engine like this that just stopped working? My best guess is that some small internal component was damaged somehow. Can anyone help? I don't want to have to buy another engine!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 70 - looks fine, won't start

If the engine won't start, it's not getting fuel, fire, or air. Install a new glow plug. Even though it will light with a battery attached, it may not be good enough to light the fuel/air mixture because of contamination. The carb may have fuel passages blocked that won't allow enough fuel to get inside the cylinder. Make sure the valves are working. Sometimes a crash can jar a rocker arm off its pushrod. Make sure a valve spring isn't broken. If the camshaft wasn't removed, it can't "jump" timing, so don't worry about timing being off.

With good compression, good fuel, and a good plug, the engine should fire and run. Try putting a few drops in the glow plug hole and putting the plug back in. Turn the engine over slowly a few times by hand and then apply the battery and try to start it. If it will fire and burn off the fuel in the chamber, then the engine should run if it gets fuel.

If all else fails, and you can't figure it out, send it to the service center per the thread at the top of this forum.