Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Supercharged OS FS 120 SP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 09:19 AM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharged OS FS 120 SP

I have a new in box FS 120 SP, I want to use this on a large fun fly like the OMP Giant Yak. It weighs 11 lbs and has an 79" wing span. Every one is questioning if this motor would fly this plane. A lot of people use the glow OS 1.60 swinging a 18X8 prop at around 9000 RPM, is the FS 120 SP capable of this? If not I plan on selling this motor but I really would like to use it. Thanks lee
Old 08-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Supercharged OS FS 120 SP

The O.S. Max FS-120 Surpass SP was intended for F3A Pattern flying. It usually turned an APC 14 x 14 prop or APC 13.5 x 13.3 prop between 9,000 RPM and 10,000 RPM. The engine was intended to run at these RPM levels. We do not know how it would work with the large prop you're asking about.

The reason for the engine's existence was to get maximum power out of the 1.20-size engine, which was the maximum size the rules allowed. After the size restriction was lifted from F1A, the 1.40 and 1.60 two-stroke engines came into popularity. Other than F3A flying, people have used the engine for racing, where it was propped with similar high-pitched props.

The FS-120 Surpass SP runs very well, but it does take 4-6 gallons' worth of running before it's fully broken-in and running to its full potential.