Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Need "blanking plugs" for OS Ducted Fan engines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:55 AM
r3bldr
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need "blanking plugs" for OS Ducted Fan engines.

I have two OS ducted fan engines that are in need of the 'blanking plug' that screws into the threads where a needle valve would be. The engines use a remotely controlled mixture control and I want to block these with the proper plug. I know some people simply break off the needle valve and screw it in with RTV but I'm the type that prefers to use the proper tool for the proper job and the proper part where it's designed for. I know OS has these because it's included with their aftermarked remote needle valve assembly, but that's a high price to pay just for that plug. It's 1/4 by 32 threads, same as glow plugs. Does anyone know of a different source or the OS part number for this item?
John.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 AM
kmorgan

Default RE: Need "blanking plugs" for OS Ducted Fan engines.

Hi John
I appreciate what you are saying but it the past I have used a 'spent' glowplug. Remove all traces of the element and, if I remember correctly, it needed to be turned down a bit as well to get a comfortable fit. I used such a setup for several years with no hint of a problem.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 01-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We believe that this might be the part you're looking for. It's from the .61 FX, but they use the standard needle holder that other engines use.

OSMG6471 27757030 FUEL INLET HLDR 61FX $1.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells O.S. Max engines and accessories.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
r3bldr

I'm kind of sceptical that that might be the right item, but I've found an OS brochure that's dated 1994. In it they list a retrofit remote needle valve assembly: OSMG7258 28282000 that has a needle assembly with threaded end and hex nut to mount to something AND a blanking plug with washer to put in the side of the carb that the original needle ass'y went. This is meant to give remote needle mounts to other engines. My hobby store can order this ass'y but it's about 30 dollars each!! That's quite a bit to pay to get two plugs. I know there's just one size because I have one that fits my OS91 and 46 VX's.
In the mean time, this weekend I'll go the my local hobby store and take a look at a 61FX and see if that'll work, but I dont know.
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:35 AM
r3bldr

I think I've found the part in question. Looking at the engines on the OS website I noticed the 1.08 FSR with a remote needle valve and a blanking plug in the side of it's 7D carb. I downloaded the operating manual and it shows an exploded view and part numbers for the carb and sure enough right there was item #9 code number 22881300 "Plug Screw"!!! Voila...blanking plug. Now that I've identified it I've got to see if I can buy a couple of them.

I still fail to understand why OS sells Ducted Fan engines with a carb mounted needle valve assembly. That engine is burried inside ducting, inside a fuselage with no way to get at it. A manually or servo controlled needle valve or mixture control is required for DF jets. Oh well.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 AM
JohnnyHotRocks
My Feedback: (3)

Just wondering if that was the right plug...I'm looking for the same thing.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 PM
JohnnyHotRocks
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I took a chance and ordered the plug...it is definitely the right one in case anyone is interested.
John