Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os50sx ring install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:53 PM
flyover11
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os50sx ring install

[]I need help in installing a new ring in my os50sx. I should have asked this before trying to install new one. It broke!! Had it in the sleeve but when I moved the piston up and down it stuck and broke. Help before I spend another $25 dollars kkknmjfuuuwjk Phil[]
Old 01-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os50sx ring install

The ring must be carefully installed in the ring groove. Lay the ring on the top of the piston and gently work it down over the side. You start at the gap and work your way around.

Please be aware that there is a pin in the ring groove. The ring gap must be centered on this pin. If you don't have the gap on the pin, then the piston/ring won't go into the cylinder, or you'll catch the ring on a port and break it.

A good book would be Harry Higley's "All About Engines". It shows the complete disassembly and reassembly of two and four-stroke engines.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
flyover11
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill; Thanks for the info. One other thing what is the order for reinstalling the piston. Does a person connect the rod to the crank, before sliding the sleeve over piston? Where do I find this book? Thanks again
Old 02-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You assemble the piston, ring, rod, and wristpin together. Slide the assembly into the crankcase and install the lower-end of the rod onto the crank. Center the piston in the cylinder and slide the liner carefully down. The bottom of the liner is bevelled to compress the ring. Make sure the ring gap is centered on the pin in the ring groove, and the ring gap is opposite the exhaust port.

Please be aware that the connecting rod only goes in one way. The lower-end has a small chamfer on one side of the bronze bushing. The other side is milled flush with the side of the rod. The chamfered side goes towards the carburetor.

You can locate the book by using the Tower search box at the top of any RCU page.