Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FL-70 sounds weird

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Brecht

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FL-70 sounds weird

I recently bought an FL-70. When I flip the prop it really sounds bad. After running it for about two tanks an when still warm it still feel thight and has an iron on iron sound. Is this normal.
I'm using it on an Extra 300 0.40 from Greatplanes. Which propellor do you recommend? I'm using an 12x7 now. I want it to have a lot of tork for hoovering not to much speed. Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FL-70 sounds weird

Because the O.S. FL-70 does not have a piston ring, the compression seal is made by a very close fit between the piston and cylinder liner. This means that when the engine's cold, it will be rather tight. That's normal. Once the engine's warmed up to operating temperature, the fit will loosen somewhat.

Prop the engine to turn about 10,000 RPM at full throttle on the ground when leaned to just rich of peak RPM. Any prop that will let the engine turn this RPM range and fly your model the way you like, is correct. You could try a 13 x 6 prop to see how it goes. Please be aware that different brands of propellers, even though they are the "same" size, can give dramatically-different performance results.